Agnostic.com

2 1

Where do you stand regarding fate and destiny?

Do you believe in fate or destiny? Please explain.

GoodMan 7 Sep 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Fate and destiny are inseparable. Your fate will determine your destiny. In a religious context you can’t control your fate, so you are “destined to be.” or "meant to be."
To quote the lines from the song “You Can’t Fight Fate by Taylor Dayne:
“But you know
You can't fight fate
You can run
But you can't run away
No matter what you do
No matter what you say
When it's meant to be
It's gonna be that way
You can't fight fate.”

I really don’t know how to say it in the proper way, so, I’ll just quote some more lines from songs and movies that are now simultaneously "clogging" my mind:

From Cinderella: “Have faith in your dreams and someday
Your rainbow will come smiling through
No matter how your heart is grieving
If you keep on believing
The dream that you wish will come true.”

From Pinnochio: “Fate is kind
She brings to those who love
The sweet fulfillment of
Their secret longing
Like a bolt out of the blue
Fate steps in and sees you through
When you wish upon a star
Your dreams come true.”

Wizard Of Oz: “Oh, somewhere over the rainbow bluebirds fly, why can’t I?”

. . . they are wishing and hoping, a matter of belief, that their fate will change for the better.

From Star Wars, Darth Vader to Luke Skywalker, “It is your destiny”

McFly in Back To The Future: "I am your DENSITY" ha-ha, just a comic relief, if ever.

Sting: " . . . set them free, if they come back then it was meant to be." These lines were also used in The Phantom Of The Opera.

The phrase here is "it was meant to be" - that is fate.

Jesus to Pilate from Jesus Christ Superstar: "you have nothing in your hands, any power you have comes to you from far beyond. Everything is fixed and you can't change it."

I believe that you can change your fate (fight fate) and make your own destiny. Sharpen your awareness, learn from your mistakes, always move forward, make your tomorrow better than what you had today . . . and . . . please pardon this long comment which I can't put any other way.

Jack Nicholson from A Few Good Men: "You can't handle the truth!" oooops, seems I went overboard, he-he!

No probl with the length...lol Though concise is nice, I interpret your comment as an honest effort to elaborate.

Fate: This is another one of those times where definitions are relevant. If you mean by fate, some supernatural force that pushes me toward one thing or another, I say, I have no reason to believe that.

the force is natural because it is you, your energy/determination, you are the force behind your fate

I agree. Definitions are always relevant and helpful. I'm not referring to anything supernatural, paranormal, mythical, magical, or beyond scientific explanation.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:195
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.