Agnostic.com

8 1

The kindness of strangers

What is the single best deed a stranger has done for you in your lifetime?

AMGT 8 Oct 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't know if it was the best deed. I moved to a small town with literally $20 left to my name. My car broke down and I discovered I needed a new part that I couldn't afford. The next day I woke up to find an envelope stuck to my door with the exact amount of money that I needed for the new part. It was a couple hundred dollars. It also included an anonymous note with a single bible verse about god looking after the birds etc... I don't care that it was done to preach, just that someone cared enough to know about my situation and help out.

I grew up in rural Canada in a time when you saw that someone needed help or if someone saw you needed help, help was given so, it is really hard to just pick one.
If I have to pick one it would have to be the time I got lost in the heart of London at 3 years old, while on a visit to my mother's parents in Slough my mother took my sister, brother, a cousin and myself shopping in London. I found something far more interesting than being shepherded around between the older kids, broke custody and left the shop to explore the city.
Sometime later after crossing several streets and seeing the most amazing things suddenly I hear "there, there young man where are you goin'"and two huge hands picked me up and put me onto the shoulders of a for real English Bobby! He bought me an ice cream at a sweet shop and carried me about the streets until he found a frighten mother and 3 kids that look like they had been caught committing murder. That is the one stranger who helped me I can never forget.

The summer between my 7th - 8th grade school days, I was out on a bike ride, 30miles at that time, and I was still 8 miles from home and my tire broke. I was walking my bike and a regional sales guy stopped his vehicle and we put my bike in his back seat area and he drove me home.

I think the strangers who lead the groups on meetup.com do great deeds for me. I've been on a lot of gret hikes thanks to them.

Other than that, strangers have given me jobs...

Some strangers put laws into effect which enabled me to collect unemployement and disability payments when i lost my job because I was going blind. Withotu that I'd have ended up on the streets.

I can't, off hand, think of any other acts of kindness done by strangers that help me out.

I think to the little things, like offering to share their umbrella with me when I didn't have one. Or a clerk at a hardware store once offered me a free key copy after I realised I gave her the wrong key to copy in the first place. Or things I've done for others, like returning a lost wallet or flashdrive.

Dylan Level 5 Oct 22, 2017

I may never know.

mzee Level 7 Oct 22, 2017

That is very easy to answer, I was just recently rescued from having run my yacht up on a coral reef, and a fishing boat 2 hours sailing away answered my mayday call and came to my aid.

He left.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1964
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.