Agnostic.com

5 0

Do you think that humans will go to Mars in our life time?

Now a know that many of you know more about science than I do. This question is to all, the people who know a lot of this subject and those who just have a theory, guess or a wish. I for one love the idea of space travel, and I truly believe/fear that I will not be able to travel among the stars before I die.

richdust 5 Jan 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We are already there! Although I am sure you are referring to a human actually standing on surface of Mars, as you surely know, we have many instruments already on Mars.

To be a little more straightforward in answering your question - I think Elon is going to get us there in the next 20 yrs.

Rob, I honestly hope you are right. Thanks for your comment.

@richdust While 'traveling among the stars' is probably not acheivable in our lifetimes, rest assured at your young age, you will be able to hitch a ride in space in the very near future, and certainly within your lifetime. Hell, Branson is already selling tickets! at a cool quarter million a seat...

Who'd want to go to that sh*t hole of a place. It's just one vast expanse of dusty rocky wilderness. Think Death Valley in California with an area the size of all the land area of our home earth. No oceans, not even any small lakes. No vegetation and lousy air with extreme temperatures.

We all benefit from the exploration of space. A lot of scientific innovations have resulted from the experiments done in space, because there is zero gravity, and geological elements, synthetic
compounds, and biological materials react very differently in zero gravity than they do on Earth. Doing that type of research has resulted in the development of new medications and technologies, and has given us insight into the complexity of our own planet. And photos of the surface of Mars and testing soil on Mars by the Mars Rover have given information about the history of the planet and whether life is sustainable in other places in our galaxy and beyond. Manned exploration of Mars is not about scouting out an interplanetary location for another Club Med, it is for learning about the life in other places in our galaxy and the scientific
breakthroughs that come from research and exploration that can benefit all of us

Agreed. But certainly not a spot for a interplanetary holiday tourist destination.

Maybe 50 50. The problem is radiation exposure and long term health in a weightless or low gravity environment. And getting them back is trickier, the first ones to go might be one way.

Not in my lifetime.

JK666 Level 7 Jan 30, 2018

Absolutely..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19761
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.