Agnostic.com

18 4

Do any of you have kids in grade school? Highschool? I do. And, they came home telling that they are learning about religion. I am so disgusted. I am all for education, but, this is crossing the line. My oldest is learning about different religions. It is fine. He brings the information right on home. Then, I give my home education. I tell them to learn all they can, then bring it home to me.

But, my twins were taking note on Moses. So, I had to tell them about this mythical character. And, how they never put anything about not killing each other in war for God in the "Ten Commandments." Or, about not molesting children. I am emailing the teacher to see if it is just learning about cultures, and, their beliefs. Or, just the old-fashioned, abuse system of indoctrinating our babies in this ridiculous racist, sexist, murderous, cowardice, jealous, vengeful male God with no female God religion. It is "Sociology" so that should make us parents feel better.

Please,nice me your thoughts.

AtheismIsLife 6 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have no kids. I do not agree with religion being in our schools.

My daughter is in middle school and learning about religion as history which I have a problem with. It should be fiction not another subject. They do not learn the bad stuff, all the people persecuted by religion just painting a rosy picture which I have a problem with.

There isn't anything wrong about them learning about mentally ill people can indulge in gruesome acts and use it to cover up their inhumanity. You just have to make sure they do not leave those parts out, or that you educate them further on the real history to present.

What? I work for a school district and that is bullshit. Unless the kids are in private school.

Public schools should not be teaching just about god and the bible. Are they also learning about evolution in science class?

Good question .

Public schools shouldn't be teaching false history or racist terms either. "Black, White, America was discovered, Aboriginal were Indians, etc.

My wife used to say don't tell your father. I never asked... what not to tell me? I did found my elder preaching to all her rag dolls more than once after sunday school.

Are they learning religion...OR THE IMPACT OF RELIGION ON SOCIETY. Big difference.... and if is the last this is a great way to learn how horrid religions are.

It is illegal to teach religion in U.S public schools..get intouch with your local ACLU for more info or to lodge a complaint against the school district..

Absolutely.

It depends on the context and the format I sent my kids to catholic school mainly because the public schools in Delaware are so horrible, and all three of my kids are firmly ensconced in the agnostic camp. I think unless the kids have the shit drilled into their head since they were infants common sense and reason usually prevails.

Delaware is not the only place... I appreciated more my private catholic school once I went on public school. I stopped learning english at 7th grade.

Thank you all. I tried to email, but, it wasn't the right email address. Not sure what that was about. So, next, I will send a note to their teacher to have him email me.

In college, I took a World Religion's class. I am glad about in what I learned. And, I was still an Atheist. It is good to learn about culture. And, their belief systems. So, I understand. But, the Judeo-Christian ones being "Taught" and not others,like Hinduism, should be a concern.

Will let you all know what happened. Thank you for the feedback.

I do not mind them learning about "religion" as a topic, it has had major impacts on every aspect of history, after all. If they are proseletyzing, however, SUE, or at least contact the ACLU!

I sent my son to a private Montessori school which was awesome! But with my sons background at home, I'm not afraid of him learning about other religions as long as its educational and not the brainwashing crap that goes on in church. They start teaching about fire and brimstone and how everybody else is going to hell because they don't believe in a mythical person who only taught love . That's where I would draw the line!

Im quite opinionated on this but have a small cracked phone and have to get my youngest up in a few minutes. I'm copying and pasting 3 long responses I just made on facebook regarding a 6 year old's teacher an Noas arc. It sounds like you teach them well and they are a bit older but it mostly still pertains. Sorry if it's long.

1- Also you could talk to the teacher about it. Either call or email imediately or Mention something casually at the next confrences. You don't have to immediately throw people under the bus every time something is amis. How is this teacher otherwise? Was she implyimg that the story was true? Did she think of it and make a big production? or one of the kids made a joke and snowballed into a sort of enactment? Could be Noah or Tyger is shy or sad and she was trying to bring them out of their shell in a fun way. If it is an ongoing thing definately bring it up. If not menion it to her and figure out what happened or don't.

2- I think this an excellent opportunity to discuss religious differences with your son. They will come up in a few years by other students. You can't just kick out every student who mentions their culture. In a few years kids will figure out he does not believe and he will have to defend himself agaist other kids who have theist parents. I know- I was raised opinionated athiest in a small town so are my kids. They are 10 and 14 and it definitely comes up.

3- Little more on the subject- To all of you well meaning parents. Fire and fury againt religion is a noble path. It is. The thing is your kids have to go to school. Please think carefully about how you teach them and give them coping and social defence strategies if you are going to send there against most of their peers on religion. Be prepared for the fact that it may make their life harder, especially in school. Kids are mean.

MsAl Level 8 Jan 31, 2018

It all depends on context. If they're learning about it in the context of history and culture and equal treatment is being given to all traditions, I'm all for it. If a certain religion is being given a privileged position and promoted, we've crossed a line and must be stopped.

That is exactly what I was afraid of...

Despicable proselytizing. If it's being taught as a 'fact' by a teacher, that teacher needs a lesson in Constitutional Law. You should investigate further and if in fact the teacher is proselytizing, then contact the Freedom From Religion Foundations (FFRF.org) - they will send a nice letter to the school board demanding the practice be stopped - and they are effective!

Thank you.

@AtheismisLife You are most certainly welcome.

I did contact them. They said that they will answer as soon as they can. I am so happy I contacted them. Thank you. This website is really helpful.

@AtheismisLife You just made my day! Great you contacted them, I just got their newsletter today, it is full of incidences like the one your daughter has experienced.
Make sure you let the board know of your objections, and what you've done about it. It may be all you need to resolve the situation.

You have helped me to start fighting for the right to not be bullied by religious people! Everywhere! I do stand up for myself, and, children. But, I never thought that this would happen at their school. This is another dynamic that I have been forced into when they came home with this Moses, and the 12 Tribes of Judah story. They told me right away.

My daughters both described ‘extended assignments’ specifically pushing the ‘christian religion’ during grade school. I think I had 3 ‘teacher, principal & me’ meetings regarding it, two different teachers in a ‘rural district.’ It was amazing how fast they backed off, even apologized … but then I was pretty active in the community and they didn’t want trouble..

..Seems I’m getting a bit touchy regarding everything ‘male’ being horrid… I’d have had no more tolerance had it been a goddess they’d been pushing.. Both offending teachers were women, and the quick to back me up principal was a man, for what it’s worth. It’s a stressful ordeal standing up to authority, though … but I was relieved not to have taken it to the school board. Hope you can keep us informed as to what you do, and appreciate your concern.

Varn Level 8 Jan 31, 2018

Associate it with Santa, it sounds kind of demeaning to religion, but it's the easiest way to understand the group delusion.

When my eldest son was about 10 he asked for a bible. Bought him one. Now he is 26 and embarrassed. He is atheist. Kids are intelligent

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19831
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.