Agnostic.com

5 0

What do you do in order to get a song *out* of your head?

I'm currently struggling with the song Frank Sinatra by CAKE. It's not really that bad of a song, but I sort of hate CAKE - nothing about their music, just went to a concert a long time ago (when they were touring with Modest Mouse, The Flaming Lips, De La Soul, and others, in Cleveland) and the lead singer turned out to be sort of a d-bag. Definitely not my style of senselessly manipulative approach to holding a concert.

PolyWolf 7 Oct 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Replace it with another ear-worm. There are many works I can call up from memory to purge such annoying songs with a less annoying song.

Short of putting a different song on repeat for a while, I have not had luck with this either.

I remember reading about a study that said the best way is to play it a few times in a row. It claimed that your brain gets stuck on it when it can't complete the song, so it's supposed to help you brain finish the song and move on.

I like that theory, and not just because it supports what I already do to help it. ?

Play it very loud several times.

That's essentially my approach as well, though not always loudly. Glad I'm not alone!

I hate that! I listen to other music while doing other tasks...I think the combo makes the earworm fade away...good luck...glad you didn't post a link or else I would have caught the same song...thanks, friend...ha ha ha

This one isn't necessarily earworm level for most people. I just easily get songs in my head. I usually have to repeat it dozens of times before my mind gives up on it, but even then it doesn't always work.

@PolyWolf You must be very susceptible to auditory cues...I bet it can be very annoying at times, but wonderful at other times!

@thinktwice the slightest whisper can set me off. You're very perceptive.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:198527
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.