Agnostic.com

3 6

M-Theory author interviewed. Just wanted to post something highlighting Edward Witten - described as “the world’s greatest living theoretical physicist” in light of all the questions and posts on Multiverses, String Theory, etc. While the popular 'show' physicists like Brian Greene are great, and I for one appreciate their contributions and getting science in front of the public. Here is the guy they all refer to...

RobCampbell 7 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In my younger days , I had an IQ of 168 , with a very high mechanical aptitude , before I massively indulged in various recreational substances . I never studied Quantum Physics then , but when I was asked about Einstein's theory of "the faster you go , the slower you are , at light speed", never settled well with me , & neither did "String Theory". Decades latter , it still doesn't . But of course now days , I could be way off . Still an interesting subject , thanks for sharing .

Dougy Level 7 Jan 31, 2018

@Douglas Wow that's an impressive number.. Well I'm pretty sure Einsteins theories have been tested pretty thoroughly more than a few times. I wish like hell I could grasp Quantum Mechanics so I'm taking Physics at SMC this semester just for the hell of it. I remember some professor stating in a video that " if you think you understand quantum mechanics, then you don't. " Thank you for the comment, I share your frustration!

@RobCampbell Rob , thanks much for your feedback. I am a theoretical physics follower, not degreed in it but well read. I never much cared for Brain Greene but do like Brian Cox. The Quantum world is the most out of reality world ever viewed, Spooky particles as Einstein referenced, Now with the new information on super massive black holes I do envision us going full throttle into dimensions.

Thanks for the video. I think I have seen it before but I like to see Ed WItten because he is really the father of modern string theory (M-Theory).

I am waiting anxiously for progress on this front. As far as I know we are not seeing candidates for Super Symmetric partner particles at the LHC just yet. I hope that this post will be outdated by tomorrow as I've heard rumors of somethings heavier than the Higgs but nothing beyond rumors.

I recently read a book by a proponent of Loop Quantum Gravity which is competitor to M-Theory. His criticism of String theory is that it isn't "background independent" but LQG is. I was able to understand the author's argument for why LQG was background independent but I do not understand enough of string theory to make a judgement about the authors claim that it isn't. I'm working on that and slowly working my way through Leonard Susskind's lectures on String Theory at Stanford.

@marmot84 Thank you for the information, video and comment. I will certainly take a look at the Loop Quantum Gravity theory you mentioned. Sounds interesting. Susskind is such a cool guy, did you know he used to be a plumber!

An oldie but a goodie!

jeffy Level 7 Jan 31, 2018

@jeffy You betcha! Thank you for your comment!.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19857
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.