Agnostic.com

4 1

God Fearing

What the fuck does this even mean?
I see this all the time in dating sites. It’s hilarious to me. Like are they cowering in a corner waiting to be smited? Lol
Yeah I really do know what it means, but Christ what a ridiculous statement.

Please discuss for our enjoyment....

#god
darthfaja 7 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

God Fearing was the standard description for Christians for much of the church's history.
The idea of the loving God, is a fairly new idea that only became popular after the introduction of mass literacy.
God was to be feared, not loved or respected, he was a king like any other king who ruled by force of arms and threats.

Early Christians saw no contradiction in a god who demanded love, obedience and fear under threat of damnation, because that was what was normal to them.

If I saw "god fering" in a profile on a dating site, I'd skip over that person. I'm not god fearing, but I am very leery of True believers" and very wary of fanatics.

Sad but true.

One of the first people I de-converted was a devout Catholic that believed if he didn't do everything god wanted, he would burn in hell forever.

As his church had him convinced that he was born in sin and a week, sinful person, his fate (to be sentenced by his loving god to an eternity of hell burning in hell) was pretty much a done deal. As a result, on those night when he finally got to sleep he would often awake from a nightmare in a state of terror fearing his god's inevitable retribution.

Needless to say, Once I helped this young man (in his 20's) out of the darkness of superstition to the light of reality, he was a much happier person.

I know! If your make-believe friend LOVES you so damn much, why the fuck are you AFRAID of it? So. Much. Cognitive. Dissonance.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:200954
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.