Agnostic.com

6 0

How to make decisions

What is the first question you ask yourself before making difficult or really any life decision?

CJBuckeye2021 4 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Several functions:

#1: Is the data I am using to analyze the scenario reliable? Do I have the most reliable set of information / can I trust the source? Is this information testable? verifiable? or am I dealing with a (faith) (belief without evidence) assertion.

I do not consider faith a reliable method to determine truth, establish a world (belief) view, or make an informed decision.

#2: A careful analysis of potential loss/benefit outcome. For example: If I purchase this gum ball today, it will cost me a quarter, If I repeat this activity every Saturday (When I lived in Devils Lake I would often walk to the shopping mall with a gum ball machine) I would spend roughly ten dollars a year for an enjoyable gum ball on Saturday that would likely degrade dental health.

NOTE: The loss/benefit analysis is not purely self-centered as if the decision involves a weighted analysis of the potential well being of others and/or our environment

Can my decision actually change anything?

Yes, or as my wife likes to put it: "to what end?"

Or as I like to put it: "Is this actionable?"

I ask myself if I have all the information available to make the right decision, if not, I do research...

What is in my long term best interests.

No one question can be my only answer to this, as it depends entirely on the circumstance. Each decision has to be made on its merits and there is no formula to any decision making process without full knowledge of the facts.

I don't ask myself anything. I have a mantra shared with me by a very old friend...1...2...3...f**k it! It has never failed me

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:200966
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.