Agnostic.com

3 3

Some members, particularly some of our younger crew have expressed feelings of insecurity particularly in comparison to others. This is one of the keys issues that affected my earlier life.
So, I learned to survive. I mean really survive. I began when I was about 12-13 trying to build some self confidence. I am terrified of heights, always was and apparently always will be, damaged middle ear and vertigo don't help. I climbed a volcanic plug, only about 3000 feet high at 14, made it to the top, made it 90% of the way down and panic set in. So 3 months later I went on a survival trek, a group of 5, none older than I was. Found our way through jungle, lived off the land, got wet, almost froze, got lost once, ate all sorts of horrible things. My foster son had similar issues and ended up doing something similar at 15. We are still socially awkward, but I know I am more secure in myself as a result. I think once you understand that you don't need people, that you can make it without help, you are less inclined to make unfavourable comparisons to others. My 2 cents worth.

Rugglesby 8 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am scared of heights and open spaces. I'm a bit of a loner and the further I get from my house the more insecure I get. you do learn to live with mental problems because a plaster just doesn't work.

Thinkers are always socially awkward. I have become accustomed to two reactions to anything I say. For those that don't know me well instant dismissal. For those that know me they listen because they know I will come up with a good idea that no one has thought of. They also know it may take a bi to understand it. So I am either a complete idiot to those incapable of understanding or brilliant to those whom take the time to listen. I don't like socialization for this reason, In most social interactions my thoughts are so outrageous that I do appear to be an idiot.

Today I pointed out to my wife of twenty years that god could not be merciful and just at the same time as if he is merciful he forgives and so could not be just. She was very upset about this and got mad at me so I quickly changed the subject. This was my wife the human being that I am closest to. She still can not get past her religious dogma. I makes me hesitant to want to socialize with anyone else who does not understand that I live by reason.

Cool... your telling my story...

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20129
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.