Agnostic.com

4 0

Telling it like it is has gotten me on the sh** list again

I've been working with a lady my same age for about 1 year. I am her superior but she doesn't report to me. We are both responsible for sales but she is directly responsible for a customer base and I manage a product line. After repeated conversations over 4 months of how bad her corporate sales are I finally just gave a report on her lack of urgency and the lack of growth in her customer base. She came back at me with some really strong words saying that I came out of no where with these accusations and how could I treat her like this after all she has done for me? She invited me over a couple of times for dinner and drinks....nothing else. I've decided to back away from the friendship for a while until things cool off. Should I apologize?

chemicalromance 4 Oct 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You are being paid to do exactly what you did. IMO socializing outside the workplace is always a bad idea just because of crap like this!

Good point, I knew in my gut instinct I shouldn't have forged a personal relationship and I rarely do but felt vulnerable as I just relocated to this city and position. Lesson learned, keep it professional.

You gave more than fair warning... Apparently, she did nothing.. No apologies...

if it was part of your job then no but if you just decided to write it up without telling her you were doing so well thats a bit different i wouldnt worry about any friendship as she will no longer trust you apologize if you feel you need to but not because you feel bad about doing hat your job requires

That is true, no need to apologize for doing my job and doing it well. I will eventually have to make up for her shortcomings in sales.

Hard to say as I don't know it all but probably no. It depends if you want to be "friends" with her or not. Was it your place to do that report? And by the way, she will never forgive you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:202031
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.