Agnostic.com

7 3

Are positive illusions a necessary condition for being happy?

Psychologists coined the expression "depressive realism", because most normal people (i.e. those not suffering from any mental disorder) look at the world and also at themselves through rose-tinted glasses: They believe that they are "above average" in most categories ; they do not think that certain risks apply to them , even if statistics should teach them otherwise ; they are inclined to see the future brighter than it is ; they consider themselves to be more attractive than others perceive them ... and so on.

There is only one type of people who view themselves and the world more or less like it is: those who are mildly depressive (not severely depressive, of course).

Therefore it seems to be true that we need a certain amount of positive illusions to lead a happy life. Those of us who adopt scientific evidence and nothing but scientific evidence as their personal yardstick of truth are dooming themselves to depression and hopelessness and a sense of all-pervasive absurdity.

As Albert Camus wrote: "Man feels within him the longing for happiness and for rationality. The absurd is born of this confrontation between the human need and the unreasonable silence of the world” -
So, do we have to keep telling ourselves some edifying (but delusional) stories (whether they feature some supernatural entities or not is of secondary importance) to overcome the deafening silence of the meaningless world? I think so.

Matias 8 Oct 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Great question. I don't think it's as much a matter of "having to" in a conscious way, as it is that we just "do" by our own unconscious nature. I think it's part of our design in a sense. I suspect that's the authentic (evolutionary) purpose of what we call "religion"; to constantly reinforce our natural illusional sheath - the natural lubricant against the unbearable harshness of reality.

But it's not just by religion we do this. Virtually all of our cultural instincts work toward this goal. We build houses to shield ourselves from the weather and from dangerous animals. We have a sense of aesthetics to decorate the interiors of those houses in a cheerful, uplifting way. We make music, we dance, we tell stories, we plant flowers, we ingest intoxicants... all to no practical end but to lift our spirits. We are "spiritual" creatures.

UNTIL we go and destroy the natural illusional sheath we are born in by inventing science. THEN we're in big trouble. Now we are forced to deal with an aspect of reality we were not really designed by nature to ever encounter. So it is met with fierce resistance by those whose inclination is to remain in an undisturbed, natural state.

The solution to this dilemma is not, in my opinion, to abandon all progress, nor to forsake our own nature, but to devise a worldview that embraces both. That is to say, it's not an either/or question. We must find a way to protect our naked psyches while operating in the thornfields of ever-harsher reality. It's time for a complete overhaul, rather than an abandonment, of religion.

This means religion must now acknowledge all of science's requirements. But we must never stop dancing.

Whether the stories we tell ourselves are delusional or not depends on what the individual can handle. The laity has always been held to looser standards, but for many centuries now, monastics have known how to transcend material limitations through mental disciplines. Whichever path a person chooses, it should be respected. Some people will always prefer to remain in illusion. The solution is not to ridicule them or attack them individually, but to work to elevate the culture at large. They will go where the culture goes.

Science effectively makes reality harsher, so religion must now be tougher, and smarter... not done away with. Culture is the human organ that enables us to evolve rapidly in the face of environmental change. We use it, or we lose everything. Contrary to our illusions otherwise, we are not indestructible.

Of course there are individuals who can manage to escape this paradigm, but we are not solitary animals. We are a social species. We depend, for our survival, on figuring out how to make peace with all of our kind... even those.

skado Level 9 Oct 16, 2018

Thanks @TheAstroChuck

Thanks @Matias

I don’t think I would put in in quite the same way as has been expressed here. I hold the belief that discounting those with severe depressive illness, we generally fall into two personality types....optimists and pessimists. I believe that generally speaking optimists lead happier and more fulfilled lives than those who are naturally pessimistic in nature. This is regardless of intelligence, income or status, and is based on my observation and life experience in working and living amongst people from all walks of life and nationalities.

@Matias That is a much more difficult question and one which is almost impossible to answer as it again depends on the individual’s personal circumstance. It could be a help in some cases to have cognitive behavioural therapy if negative thoughts are causing an inability to cope with the harsh realities of life....this is often prescribed for depressive illnesses. If however,clinical depression is not indicated then there are still techniques used in CBT which could be useful in training the mind towards more positive thinking. I can see that there could be a certain appeal to someone with a more pessimistic personality to be drawn to a belief system that promises them a better life in the next world, however I couid equally see it appealing to optimists as they couid wish to go on enjoying their happier lives forever iin the promised afterlife. I think going back to the original question posed, on balance it is probably necessary for us to have a few positive illusions in order to be happy, it’s just that some of us have them naturally as part of our personalities and others may have to use other agencies to learn to think in a more positive manner about themselves and that could involve taking on some positive illusions too.

Uuummm, is it an illusion that i Finally have sufficient money not to worry all the time? That i have lovely friends, a new car, cute dogs? A tiny RV? That i finally get to be ME, x 2?
I think not...i have had the opposite of all the above, so I Know the difference!

I woke up this morning, it's good to be alive. No illusions required.

@Matias Not for me to decide what others think can help them, I only refer to myself. The issue is an illusion of positivity is still an illusion and will not accomplish any change. Not everything can be changed but I think having an illusion of positive change vs accepting what is the reality of the situation and accepting it, is a better way of looking at it.

By all rights we should not have to pump up our psyches with exaggerated thoughts, because every moment of awareness is profoundly beautiful and miraculous. If an alien spaceship landed in our front yard we’d get all excited, but the basic implications of existence far far outdo anything like that. We tend to take our lives for granted—allow them to be just drab and commonplace by forgetting just how amazing and awesome reality is.

You have maybe 80 years and become increasingly more disabled, you will work hard for many of those jobs will be thankless and will endure heartache, loss and anguish. Apart from a few small numbers of us, we will never get rich and even for those who do, we discover it does not make you happy. People worship things and other people rather than focussing on love and kindness. The world is full of pain and suffering, people are often unkind. If we saw the world how it trully is we would never get out of bed. In fact we work together for a Utopian tomorrow knowing we may not even see it in our own lives. I am prepared for that because overall life does get better and will improve. I'm not working 16hr shifts in a cotton mill like my great grandma from age 12 years. This is what we owe to our ancestors and that is the love and hope they gave us.

"Rich" is just excessive...go do some good with it or be a dick....."sufficient", is, however, of paramount importance! (See Charles Dickens/Mr. Micawber on the subject!)

I don't think so. The meaning of life is to live. Why delude ourselves...

@Matias living for something larger than us is how we ended up with god and religion and Jesus and... You get the idea. Meaning in our lives is subjective, it is self defined. What one person finds meaningful another finds absurd, ex. God, video games, work, collecting stamps or coins. Yes?

@Matias I find meaning in helping others the best I can. Others like me, humans. Is this something larger than me? Could be.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:202214
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.