Agnostic.com

6 5

QUESTION The Univ. of Miami’s Chair for the Study of Atheism Isn’t Interested in Advocacy – Friendly Atheist

In 2016, the University of Miami announced that it would become one of only two schools in the nation to have an entire program dedicated to studying atheism and atheists from an academic perspective. That’s because atheist benefactor Lou Appignani was donating $2.2 million to the school to help create the Appignani Foundation Chair for the Study of Atheism, Humanism and Secular Ethics.
“I’m trying to eliminate discrimination against atheists,” said Mr. Appignani, who is 83 and lives in Florida. “So this is a step in that direction, to make atheism legitimate.”

Dougy 7 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is good news. Thanks for posting!

You go Lou.

“Secular Ethics” sounds a bit oxymoronic to me. One of the definitions of religion is:

1. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience.
skado Level 9 Feb 1, 2018

might help their objectivity

I thought it was legit..so what? Are the ill begotten of gaaawd and saitan..

“I think it’s a very bold step of the University of Miami, and I hope there will be others,” said Richard Dawkins, an evolutionary biologist and atheist luminary who is the author of “The God Delusion.”
“It’s enormously important to shake off the shackles of religion from the study of morality,” Mr. Dawkins said in a telephone interview from his home in Britain.

This wasn’t just a vanity move. With the rise of non-religious people in recent years, there’s a lot to explore in terms of how we think, what motivates us, and our role in the traditionally religious fabric of the country. Universities everywhere have professors (and majors) dedicated to the study of religion — and specific religions — but, so far, only Pitzer College in California (with Professor Phil Zuckerman) lets you major in Secular Studies.

Now students at Miami, religious and not, would get a chance to study atheism beyond just “New Atheism” or the ancient philosophers.

Dougy Level 7 Feb 1, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20230
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.