Agnostic.com

2 2

Religious theologians actually teach a false narrative about Atheism and Agnosticism.
For example take the phrase ""I am agnostic but more towards the atheist side."

This tells me you are viewing agnosticism and Atheism as points on a linear line, on the left, Theism, In the middle Agnosticism, and on the right Atheism, this is FALSE and INTENTIONAL by theologians.

A-Theism is a response to Theism, the a prefix denotes "lack of"
This is a position on belief, you have a belief in a God, or you lack a belief in God

A-Gnosticism is a response to Gnosticism, the a-prefix denotes lack of
This is a position on Knowledge, you claim to have knowledge of a God, or you claim to lack such knowledge of a God

Religion does not want to even acknowledge Gnosticism, because by doing so they have to admit Atheism (a lack of belief) has weight.

With the FALSE linear model, they teach followers that Atheists are COUNTERCLAIMING, claiming that Theists claim there is a God, Agnostics do not know, and Atheists claim there is no God. That is wrong both on linguistics and basic honesty.

Davesnothere 7 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One should take care to distinguish the unit (or individual) from the group (or -ism). For example, there’ve been ‘Gnostics’ in a number of societies and religious traditions that pre-date Christianity, but the term ‘Gnosticism’ only appeared a few centuries ago.

That said, it seems to me that two distinct thought processes are involved when gaining knowledge, as opposed to adopting a belief. The former occupies a seemingly endless spectrum—seeking knowledge inevitably leads to the realization that there is more (much more) to be learned—whereas the latter can be distilled to a simple binary: one either accepts (believes) a proposition, or rejects it.

It is important to note that, when addressing the topic of the existence of God, the theist often insists on a reliance of the same evidence that the atheist has examined. However, the theist’s position is, “I believe,” while the atheist’s position, properly stated, is, “Based on the evidence, I remain unconvinced.” Note that the atheist’s position isn’t, “I don’t believe,” rather, it is “I am not convinced.” This is not a choice between ‘guilt’ or ‘innocence.’ The atheist examines the evidence and finds that God is, effectively ‘not guilty of existence.’

Regrettably, what is often called ‘personal experience’ can trump observations of fact, effectively bypassing the imperative for objective, quantifiable corroboration. And it is here that we come down to the mental process known as ‘faith,’ which Peter Boghossian has noted is “belief without evidence,” or “pretending to know things you don’t know.” It would seem that no amount of reasoning, observables or rational discourse can overcome that abrogation of intellect exacted by religious faith, or what the great agnostic, Robert Green Ingersoll, referred to as “that unhappy mixture of insanity and ignorance.” Rarely critically examined, and frequently heralded in the political sphere, one’s personal faith allows for a universe of intemperate reasoning and outright mischief!

Well put sir.
I have but one minor bone of contention, and it is more of a linguistic nature than any structural defect of thought.
That would be this "whereas the latter can be distilled to a simple binary: one either accepts (believes) a proposition, or rejects it."--That would be belief.

I think there are, in fact three positions on that. One is belief in the notion, the second would be the null position, the unconvinced, reserved judgement, no valid reason to believe the notion, position; and lastly would be active disbelief: which I thin could only really be held by one who had held a belief, and then become unconvinced of it, rejecting a notion they had once accepted as true.

O am quite fond of Mr. Boghossian and SE, as it is highly effective, and I think his reframing of the socratean method in this respect and promoton of that idea is a boon to humanity itself. Beliefs should be considered.

I do admit to a rather large facepalming event on my own part when I first heard of him and SE, as I realized I had been doing SE myself, in one fashion or another, for decades in my own quest for knowledge, as I had long ago found the socratic method very effective.
It never occured to me to FOCUS that with intent as Peter did though, Doh!

The only thing worse than a non-believer is someone who may believe but questions everything, in other words, does not accept things on faith alone. Most religionists can deal with an outright denial of a god's existance, but when their rhetoric is shaded they can't deal with it. This is an agnostic is considered more "dangerous".

"Reason is the enemy of Faith"--Martin Luther

Its those pesky questions . . .

When you say 'worse', you mean from the point of view of the religionist?

@Coffeo yep. They hate being questioned.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20401
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.