Agnostic.com

7 3

##Politics Can Be As Bad As Religion.

1. It Divides People Along Party Lines.We have more to gain through cooperation, than through faction. We end up acting just as childish as the House and Senate, and we know how we rate them in the Polls.

2. Discussion Is Reduced To Name Calling. Have you ever seen a fight break out over a few harsh words. Wars are fought over Ideology, and sometimes war is necessary if our government proves to be Fascist.

3. Polarized Thinking (only one way to think). Like I have never been wrong before? We Can Agree To Disagree and maintain dialogue.

4. A Disregard For Civility. Did you ever notice in The House? They go to extra lengths to maintain civility. They use phrases like Madame Speaker, or To My Honorable Fellow House Members.
    They speak this way to maintain Civility.

Leutrelle 7 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yeah it is, but if people were more scientifically minded and better critical thinkers, the power of religion would diminish greatly. Politics would still be around and much more helpful.

The only real comparison is that people don’t do enough homework, or think for themselves.. But if politics ultimately represents the ‘majority of thought,’ perhaps religion does too… Dumb people = dumb religions and politicians ~

Varn Level 8 Feb 2, 2018

I think you nailed in the first sentence😉

Politics is indeed in many ways like religion, but where it differs is in the degree to which it can affect your life. Death and taxes are inevitable.

I like the way they do it in Great Britain..
Seems more honest

It could be. I have never dug into British politics. Maybe you could throw me a bone🙂

@Leutrelle their parliament is a wile, they tell out what they want, and confront each other.
Look it up on internet.
They were even vocal about Trump and a state visit..

Tony Blair lied about the secret information he claimed to have about Iraq.

The media has repeatedly referred to the 1975 Referendum on the EU. I was there and that was not what the Referendum was about.

When the rich in England sell all the best engineering firms to Germany the government brags about 'rising foreign investment'

I don't know if there is such a thing as 'honesty in politics'.

Politicians say what they say to get more votes, more money or a well paid place in the EU admin in Brussels after they retire.

As you can see from this site. Emotion is the majority driver. All I have done is ask questions and discussed them with different people. Yet they continue to "report me for my own good" because I say some controversial things (most of the time), but I never claimed that I was right or that I was always right.

I wish we really could leave our ego's behind and just think about what a person is trying to say before we decide that they are "the enemy".

Also the meaning and purpose of life outlines the reason for this behavior.

I appreciate your heart and your mind on this subject.

@Leutrelle Thank you.

There have been times when I was younger that my ego got in the way, usually because I couldn't control my emotions. But once I started thinking "what would my mum or dad do right now" I would change and become a professional. I would use a structure like "ask a question, listen to the response, provide my perspective then look for common ground where we could compromise" at least that's what I wanted to happen. But sometimes people just won't compromise.

Communication is a 2 way street after all, it's give and take equally. Or as close to equally as possible.

Re: #1 - In the current duopoly. factionalism is a plus because a winner-take-all system means that power comes from a 50%+1 breakdown of the vote. I would love to see some sort of IRV system if ballot integrity could be established. Also, gerrymandering and money in politics is warping whatever good is inherent in the democratic process. Imagine publically funded campaigns and free space in newspapers to outline policy positions at the very start of the campaign season. Imagine, say for the first week, the positions are essentially anonymous and even party affiliation free so people might better determine those views that are most in line with their own.

Politics and religion, two sides of the same coin.

Except that the secular political interaction should never include the assertion that something is right because, "My God says so!"

@WilliamCharles the right wing evangelicals seem to want to inject just that stance into political and governmental discourse. Nothing new since they injected "under god" into the pledge of allegiance way back in the fifties and before that with the "in god we trust" crap on our money.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20443
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.