Agnostic.com

2 4

QUESTION Forget Mars’s deserts, let’s look for life in Europa’s ocean | Aeon Essays

Later, when measuring Europa’s magnetic field, the spacecraft found global signs of an electrically conductive layer beneath the surface, precisely where a tidally heated reservoir of salty, highly conductive seawater would be.

If Europa is alive, if some biology dwells within those dark waters, the implications would be even more staggering than finding life on Mars. Our gaze would turn to Jupiter’s Ganymede next, and to Callisto, along with Saturn’s Titan and Enceladus, and perhaps even the dwarf planets such as Ceres and Pluto, all of which also likely harbour substantial subsurface reservoirs, heated through some combination of tides and radioactive decay.

zblaze 7 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think we will still have to do Mars first as a stepping stone for actual visitation, at least, but I agree, the chances to actually find extant life of some kind is probably higher on Europa!

This is not the first time I've heard about Europa being proposed as a place with the possibility of supporting life.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20506
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.