Agnostic.com

3 1

QUESTION Billy Graham Warned Against Mixing Politics And Religion

Prophecy: Long before Trump, legendary evangelist Billy Graham warned against the toxic potential of mixing religion and politics.
Speaking with Parade magazine in 1981, the famed evangelist declared that religious leaders “can’t be closely identified with any particular party or person.”
At the time, Graham was criticizing the work of Jerry Falwell, founder of the infamous anti-gay group known as “The Moral Majority.”
Snopes investigated the statement after a meme went viral quoting Graham as saying:
"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it."

Dougy 7 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Funny thing I remember Billy Graham saying this. I am old ;-(

god spoke through him

If god don't like it , then why is it happening ?

@Douglas never confuse the issue with logic. I just watched a clip of a televangelist saying jesus already bore all our illnesses so don't get a flu shot . you don't need it. then proceeded to pray fro those with the flu

@btroje I was being rhetorical with your sense of humor 😉

@Douglas me too

Snopes found the quote cited in the meme to be true and accurate.

Speaking of Falwell in the 1981 interview, Graham said:

I told him to preach the Gospel. That’s our calling. I want to preserve the purity of the Gospel and the freedom of religion in America. I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. Liberals organized in the ’60s, and conservatives certainly have a right to organize in the ’80s, but it would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it.

In the interview Graham went on to make it clear that he was not a part of Falwell’s anti-gay political movement:
"It would be unfortunate if people got the impression all evangelists belong to that group. The majority do not. I don’t wish to be identified with them. I’m for morality. But morality goes beyond sex to human freedom and social justice. We as clergy know so very little to speak out with such authority on the Panama Canal or superiority of armaments. Evangelists can’t be closely identified with any particular party or person. We have to stand in the middle to preach to all people, right and left. I haven’t been faithful to my own advice in the past. I will be in the future".

Dougy Level 7 Feb 2, 2018
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20626
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.