Agnostic.com

8 2

QUESTION Left Right Brain - is this nonsense?

The most pernicious myths tend to have a kernel of truth, but are misleading or oversimplified in a significant way.

It seems many of the popularly held understandings regarding brain functions and personality measurements are going the way of the horoscope.

If tests like Myers Briggs and left/right brain functions are being scientifically disproven, are there reliable modern tests to determine this criteria.

Prof. @Evestrat what is the current teaching on this subject?

ScienceBiker 8 Feb 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thank you for sharing this. Because I am a scientist and think logically while also having great passion for music and art, I tell people I am both left and right brained - but it seems I need to educate myself more.

@ScienceBiker I’m an Astronomer. I would not be very happy in the basement unless I had a radio telescope down there, and even then, poor signal ??

It's fascinating.

Is that even a statement?..Shouldn't it be Left Hemisphere or Right Hemisphere?..Am I splitting Hairs? Or Hemispheres..ok yes.

It's from the same pile of garbage as is the popular back a decade ago "only 10% of brain is actually working, the rest is voodoo shit". I see it all the time, but convincing people otherwise is near damn impossible. I think why these myths are so prevalent is because they are all about you. You take the quizzes, get a "You are so cool, let's name you!" result, and it inflates ego just a little.
I've recently been exposed to gallup strengths evaluation, and it seems to do a better job than MB.
I am sure at some point it will be replaced by some new kid on the block.

I like this explanation of the divided brain.

Hmmmm..... so they're a load of crap? Go figure...

Here, I'm just going to add a little companion video here to help explain split brain.

Source:

I have seen the left brain right brain function hypothesis work out in practice. I think myers briggs is a bit over simplified. It is a very rough tool for personality measurement. It makes a great ice breaker for more serious discussion of personality traits.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20873
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.