Agnostic.com

3 1

An interesting article that I wanted to share with the group.

[slate.com]

SchuylaRDiamond 6 Feb 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

And this is one of the internet sites that is helping people become more confident, and feel less alone, in dealing with a society that scorns people who refuse to yield to a belief that is not grounded in reality. In the mental health field there is a treatment approach called DBT. One of its pillars is that people must accept reality, where they are in life, before they can productively make changes and move on to where they want to be. Maybe that principal holds true for the human race. Maybe once we give up the idea that there is a benevolent parent always looking down on us and taking care of us, we can better solve our problems and treat each other and our Earth better. I don't know that for sure, but I do believe things are better dealt with when looked at realistically. I know centuries of religion has not succeeded in making people treat each other well. I also know people cling desperately to their delusions that give them a false sense of comfort, and are not tolerant to anything or anyone who they perceive as a threat to them being able to hold on to that delusion.

Yes, a good piece. While this is about the US, many of the issues apply globally in western countries, though to a greater or lesser degree. In my country, it is less pronounced, but still there. Politicians still play religious because it looks good. I also hate the fact that mainstream media still plug religion thinking it looks good. I do think the rising non religiousness of young people is a good thing. It great to see many younger people on this site, for example. Also, I strongly believe that many people are only what I call notionally religious. They are religious in behaviour and identity but not really by strong belief. These are the people we want to turn towards the light. We have to keep pulling this train, folks. It's a momentum issue, I feel certain. Hard to build the momentum, but once it builds, and more people pull.... In 50 years we have seen a transformation in attitudes towards women, racial equality, gay rights and others in that broader community, just to name some areas of great change. It's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than it was. We've got to hope that we can do the same for secularism and religious non-belief. I'm not an optimist by nature, but I've got to remain hopeful about that.

Comes as absolutely no surprise to me, but I've been dealing with this all my life.

d_day Level 7 Feb 4, 2018
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20885
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.