Agnostic.com

2 1

This is for the grammar police. OK, This is the Internet so I don't like using other people's real names. So lets call him Sally. Years ago Sally and I worked together for 3 years. Sally died last week and his obituary listed his age as the same as mine, which was a surprise to me. So I commented "Sally and I are the same age" and was corrected to "Sally and I were the same age." Which is correct?

Dick_Martin 7 Feb 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

were. Sally did not make it to your current age.

You spotted the issue I believe. Sally died a month or so ago. At that time we both were 79. Next year I may be 80. If so, next year I would say "were". But for this year...?

if you were to define "same age" as same in whole years i suppose you might say are, but that seems awkward. what if sally had an earlier birthday? what if she turned 80 and died while you were still 79.

I speak of my son in present tense.

oh gosh... I am so sorry...

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20888
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.