Agnostic.com

11 2

Has the adjustment to atheism been difficult? Why?

• 7 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 2 votes
  • 13 votes
  • 11 votes
Hugene2002 7 Oct 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I experienced a period of difficulty. There was a sense of unsteadiness as the foundation of my dogmatic world view crumbled under me, but also there was a sense of betrayal. I felt lied to by everyone, as though family and friends had conspired to trick me. And I had difficulty for a long time respecting believers. Eventually I let go of that negativity and just realized that indoctrination is systemic and even traps people who are otherwise quite intelligent. I no longer feel like people were trying to hurt me in some way.

I can’t imagine what that must have been like. Just thinking how your world must have just started fragmenting. Is it gradual or a sudden snap? @AMGT

The transition was not difficult. My mother had a hard time with it for a while but then understood it after she read about Mormonism and how it came about. Over all my life has been better.

RJAU Level 4 Oct 25, 2017

It was gradual for me. I kind of drifted away. No one seemed to notice or care.

SamL Level 7 Oct 24, 2017

I have said many time son this site already, that it is pretty easy to give up the beliefs, but really hard to give up the sense of community and belonging (which to me is the only positive thing religions provide). You have to create a whole new social circle from scratch, and by the time you leave, everyone else seems to already have groups of friends to socialize and do things with, while you are alone. That is the hardest aspect to leaving a religion.

No, my adjustment was uneventful. I suppose that's mostly because I kept my views pretty much to myself for 50 years. I was afraid of losing my born-again Christian family, my friends and possibly my job. Now that I'm retired, I'm O-U-T, OUT and I'm loving it.

Good for you! Keep loving it!

Be cause I de-converted as a kid my toughest thing to deal with was the ridicule of the other children and the adults telling me I was wrong and I needed to submit to the will of god. I had supportive parents that believed that religion was a personal choice and respected mine. I endured a lot of bullshit for about 7 years in school and at 4H but, by 15 I was too big and strong for the deluded to even have enough nerve to speak in a derogatory manner to.

Atheism has never been difficult for me. I became an Atheist between 10-12. My family were not really religious and all became atheists after I did. Many of my friends are Atheists, Agnostics, Humanists, non religious or non-traditional ( Pagan)

I voted "Other"

I just hailed from Muslim background it was life threatening to me.

That is horrible, I am sorry that you had to go through this!

You made a very brave and dangerous choice, glad you survived.

I have found meetup groups in the last year and made some really good friends. We actually socialize, besides going to meetup events. It has really helped to being able to speak with like minded people.

I agree. Many atheists have commented on missing the community of church. I am on the board of our local group and we meetup every Sunday morning at a local coffee shop. There can anywhere from 3-20 people there on a give Sunday. Usually it's at least 10. We also meet on Wednesday evenings and go to different restaurants or a movie and then out for a snack afterwards.

I know what you mean about being able to talk to like-minded people. We help each other with issues and we talk about how to get the word out and to encourage others to come out of the closet. We have a weekly radio show and we are about to launch a call in TV show both done through our local library so it doesn't cost us anything but time and several very dedicated people.

I have to say that this group IS my social life. I love the people in our group and I love being able to talk about books I'm reading or events that we attend as a group to support other folks in our community. It's a LOT of work being on the board but I'm retired and I really feel like I'm helping to make a positive difference in our community with our good works and by showing people who we are and that we are not evil people as some theists seem to believe about atheists.

KLMFTFW Yes, a sense of community with like minded people is important for all of us. Good for you.

You don't have option for No. I was quite relieved that I no longer had to try to make sense out of nonsense.

"Amen" if I dare use that term. LOL

When you are out in the rural areas or don't have any local connections, that is tough. The only connections you really have are either thru FB groups, here or in a city far far away.

So, does your atheism result in loneliness or have you chosen to isolate yourself because of it. I live in a rural area but, I am well connected to my community perhaps because this is Canada religion seldom enters the conversation. Because I am who I am, a person that believes in community, social justice and political justice, all but the worst right wing evangelists turn to me when they are having problems with governments or industry or need a hand.

HeatherFarmer, my experience living in the USA is that religion is in your face. At some point, some believer brings it up in any context, mostly Christians, who apparently feel a duty to do so.

I am in that same boat, mistymoon77.

I don't feel its result of any loneliness at all. I am just saying when you are out in the rural areas, the convenience of being in the city to socialize at times can be tough. I would never live in town ever again. I love my country life but what comes with that is not having the opportunities to get out as much as if one lived in the city.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2095
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.