Agnostic.com

3 2

LINK The Man Who Went to Heaven - YouTube

My jaw dropped. I knew this intellectually but it's another matter when you watch it.

paul1967 8 Oct 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hell was originally a concept from the Zoroastrian religion. They conquered the Jews and the Jews picked up the concept and weaved it into their own beliefs.

The Torah says nothing about hell. It speaks of Hades but not as a place of torture. When the Hebrew scriptures were translated into Greek in ancient Alexandria around 200 BC, the word "Hades" (the Greek underworld) was substituted for Sheol. This is reflected in the New Testament where Hades is both the underworld of the dead and the personification of the evil it represents.

It's disgusting that anyone can believe this.

It's even worse that they can justify it as perfectly moral.

@paul1967 Exactly! I was part of this belief system once. The effort and energy I expended trying to rationalize and maintain this belief--which goes against everything a decent, empathetic human being actually feels--is crushing. What an enormous relief it was to escape.

It used to bother me but, since I can't school those who don't want to be schooled...I go my merry way to enjoy life away from them. 🙂

@paul1967 Fanaticism justufy all kinds of behaviors.

I couldn't watch more than few seconds; I have 0 tolerance for ignorance.

Yesterday, an acquitance -a Born Again Christian- asked me where I will go when I die. My answer was "Who cares? " She retorted with "You will burn in Hell."

I felt pain...for her. I will never understand how schooled people can be so ignorant about the lies all religions vest on them.

She attempted to convert me right then and there...to wich I said "Not even my cousin, a priest and the only believer in the family, could....So, dear, don't harras me or I will call the police on you."

I agree. I just don't get why they accept the concept of hell. If God were real the mere existence of hell means God is vile and not worthy of our respect.

@paul1967 According to them the all benevolent god created hell to protect the "after life world" by eliminating those that were evil in the "before death world".

If all the religious nuts would had used their ability to "write fables / tales" in a normal way... Aesop would have had a lot of competition and.the world literature would have benefited plenty.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:209648
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.