Agnostic.com

5 2

I highly recommend Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. He is insightful, witty, and a joy to read.

Has anyone else read this or any other Bryson book? I now want to read everything he's written.

[en.wikipedia.org]

orange_girl 8 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you enjoy Bryson, I recommend Josie Dew - she's like a much nicer, female version of him who gets around on a bike.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 4, 2018

I have not but, aside from a simple knowledge based perspective I wonder how much is applicable today. Most of history took place before we came on the stage and most will happen long after we're gone. To me what is more interesting is how we humans have shaped history and how that will play out. We talk a lot about religion and it's negative effects but I think the problem goes much deeper. The book "A Green History of the World" by Clive Ponting is a must read. Even though it is older it describes things that are still relevant today.

"Economics has enthroned some of our most unattractive predispositions: material acquisitiveness, competition, gluttony, pride, selfishness, shortsightedness, and just plain greed."

In the early 19th century on 2 estates in one county in Scotland "295 adult and 60 young golden eagles (plus an unknown number of eggs) were destroyed...in an attempt to preserve fish and game for sport."

I think he's right, aliens have teenagers that are joyriding to the planet earth and probing people. I've read the book a few times

great read. The movie Into the Woods and book by the same name are really good too.

IMHO It's his best book. I did get the others and they weren't as good.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20976
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.