Agnostic.com

5 4

LINK How a Jellyfish and a Sea Slug Illuminate the Mystery of the Self – Brain Pickings

I read "The Medusa and the Snail" a long time ago, and I still remember it fondly.

Tomfoolery33 9 Oct 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Interesting, thank you for posting this.

I think i may get this book. Thanks for sharing. In appreciation, i offer a photo i took of a walt whitman statue this week.

Do you have a dating life - is this the kind of stuff you read for pleasure? I read the article attached to the link and came away thinking "I could have spent that 15-minutes doing a ton of things that would have been more pleasurable. More often than not the simplest answer is the right one - you're over thinking things.

Yes I agree completely, ( see my comment below if you like).

Our brains make a model of the world, which is only a model having no substance beyond its usefulness to help us function as the world requires, and that includes the collection of parts the brain can directly control. There is nothing more.

I think the self is a social construction, roles we learn and perform.

"A phenomenon can’t be unique and universal at the same time"

Michaelangelo's David is a universal particular.

cava Level 7 Oct 31, 2018

I think the self is only partly a social construction, though that is a good part of the self we present to the world.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:212822
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.