Agnostic.com

7 0

Marriage between a Christian and Agnostic

Let me start with I am a Christian. My wife if 21 years has been right by my side and is still the love of my life. A month or so ago we came to a rough patch. Two weeks ago during a heated “discussion” she informed me that she had been pulling back due to her now being Agnostic.

My question... assuming she will still have me in her life...

How do I make her transition easier while still loving her unconditionally? After two weeks of talking, crying,etc. I am 100% still in love with her and cannot even fathom her not in my life. Please help. Thanks

ThePokeyOne 2 Oct 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Former evangelical here; I became an atheist during my marriage to another evangelical, and it did not harm our relationship in the least. The only reason we are not still married, is that she died.

There's nothing inherent in being an agnostic (or even an atheist) that would require "pulling away". If I had pulled away from my wife it wouldn't be because she was a Christian (or not an atheist), but potentially, if she were trying to guilt or shame or gaslight or hector or issue ultimatums to try to get me to return to the fold. This would be, not because she was a Christian, but an asshat. A Christian asshat, coincidentally, but the primary problem is that she would be impertinent, rude, and disrespectful, and to an extent, cruel, to do those things. Christianity would merely be the lame excuse for the behavior, not a necessary explanation for it. There are lots of Christians who are kind and loving and respectful. My wife was, fortunately, one of those.

So long as you are not doing any of those disrespectful things to your wife, I am skeptical that the real problem is your faith. Maybe she is avoiding addressing the real issue.

You did not indicate the nature of your rough patch so it's hard to give specific advice. Since you speak of a desire to make her "transition" easier then I assume she is what we'd call a deconvert ... she is leaving the church, and what follows assumes this is all or most of the impetus for this "rough patch".

People leave religious faith for various reasons but the common denominator in my experience is that their faith is not working for them personally and they are fed up with it. Possibly, they have felt harmed or at least constrained by it. So she may be having issues with you in a sort of "guilt by association" sort of way. The best thing you can do is give her space to work out her beliefs, do not attempt to admonish or correct or change her, and then continue to be consistently loving, accepting, kind, attentive, etc. She's still a woman and wants the things women want in a relationship. If any of your fellow believers disrespect her, stand up for her and support her. Give her the freedom of her own beliefs.

It is almost certain that she will not return to her former faith but hopefully your relationship is based on something in common other than attending church activities and studying the Bible. Continue to cultivate those common interests.

It is possible, but not a foregone conclusion, that she will try to run, not just from the belief-system, but everything that is associated with it, including you. I would not in a million years advise any unbeliever to do that to their believing spouse. All decisions of that nature should be based on whether the relationship is healthy, not on whether you agree on 100% of your beliefs.

Another thing I can't tell from your post is what denomination / sect you (and presumably, until recently, she) belong[ed] to. If for example your tribe is patriarchal, assumes women should stay largely barefoot and pregnant, then this will cause you to "grow apart" unless you're flexible enough in your own thinking to be able to negotiate a different sort of relationship -- to allow her, for example, to have a career, if she wishes to have one.

If you are a moderate evangelical or liberal Christian and a reasonably decent human, this should not be a big deal. But if you are concerned about doctrinal correctness, lest god be displeased with you, etc., then you may well be headed for trouble because it's apt to be ... challenging to coexist respectfully with a freethinker.

So ... hopefully that's some food for thought, and if you want to discuss further here or via PM I'm happy to share my perspective and experiences.

Thank you for your thoughts and perspective on this. I will be re-reading this and will most likely be reaching out to you again.

Well, if you are talking about her "transition" to agnosticism, I am not sure there is much you can do except be there for her and be non-judgmental while she figures things out in her own mind. But, does that mean that she is not really an agnostic, yet?
Interestingly, the theologian H. Reinhold Niebuhr claimed that all Christians are agnostic save for Revelation. In other words, God is incomprehensible to the human mind and without Revelation we could not be sure that we really knew anything valid about God.

I will tell you that I see it in her response to me during our talks how hard this is for her. My heart aches for the pain she is putting herself through trying to work all this out in silent agony. She said the other evening that she still wants our daughters to do whatever I say we should do about church or not. She is still grappling with how and when to tell anyone else in our family or church for fear of the sheer disappointment she knows this will cause many people that she cares deeply about.

She has said to me flat out that she is agnostic but still trying to put the pieces together in her mind so she can articulate and defend her position when the questions come.

And I like that thought in your comment about Revalation being the key. I will possibly dig deeper into that one soon.

I am an athieist and my wife is a christian. We get along great. We often discuss religion. We just respect each other's opinion and do not get angry about it. I respect her right to be wrong.

Nuke Level 5 Oct 31, 2018

And she yours as well I would assume. LOL

I lost the love of my life for the same reasons. It has been the better part of sixty years and I still miss her.

That really is easy if you don't constantly insist that she is wrong and you are right when it comes to religion. If you want to go to church then do it but don't go on and on about that she doesn't want to. Did you do the crying, etc, etc. or did she?

I would never tell her she is wrong. I firmly believe we all have to work out our faith on an individual level, whatever that may look like. But don’t we all have the ability to honor our commitments?

As for my Christianity, I have my beliefs. And I have my doubts on certain doctrinal possitions of my chosen religion. That being said, this certainly makes me question everything I thought I knew.

@ThePokeyOne You seem to be on the right track if you are fine with everyone working out their faith (or lack thereof) individually. What I was getting at in my first response was that some believers are more interested in being right than in being good; from what you're saying here, you don't seem to be one of those.

If you respect her beliefs and she yours, it’s possible. It might depend on how you feel about your christianity. Get educated about agnosticism and why she has come to that conclusion. There’s many interfaith or lack there of relationships. It takes work and understanding by both people. I wish you well.

Thank you for the well wishes. I have been doing ALOT of reading up and educating myself these last couple of weeks. It seems that she is still having trouble accepting me as part of her new path in life. I fear she has put me away like a book she has finished. I can’t imagine how difficult this must be for her. We were very heavily involved in our church, her church since she was a small child. Her father is our pastor. She is the pianist. She still has not figured out if or when she will tell them. This is super hard to even type out. Anyways, I don’t want to smother her. But I do want to fight for her, for us, for our family. Those things should still matter shouldn’t they?

@ThePokeyOne Yes, they still matter. Full stop.

For some reason my wife was not that deeply involved in church past high school, and was not the "never miss a Sunday" type or had the high expectations that tend to rest on the shoulders of PKs (Pastor's Kids). Our relationship was not heavily defined by church activities. I think this helped. Your wife may be having some difficulty separating you from the rest of the Christian experience she is moving away from. But my intuition is that something more than that is in play. Her deconversion and her emotional withdrawal may be different expressions of the same thing.

I dated a PK for awhile, and had a close friend who was a PK, and I went to our denomination's Bible Institute full time out of high school for a year, where I met a lot of other PKs. In my experience and observation, PKs are under a lot of pressure to live unimpeachably exemplary lives in the fishbowl that is a pastor's family. That can lead to a lot of repressed feelings. It can lead to things like feeling a lack of agency in major decisions, and lots of guilt for departing from expectations in any way. Her feeling like she can't share something so deeply important with her own parents suggests that some of this may be in play. Of course I am speculating, and could be wrong. But right now I wonder if she doesn't feel unworthy, ashamed, and like she wants to get away from all the perceived present or possible future judgment. If you know your wife to be conflict-averse, then it's even more likely I am teasing at something real here.

I would say your job now is to, as they say, "lover her hard", show her in every way you know how that you fully accept her as and where she is. IF this is her way of giving you an "out" that she feels you should be offered, steadfastly refuse to take her up on it.

In the early days of my own deconversion I sometimes felt that I was becoming everything I once loathed: godless, faithless, and by the nature of these changes, way less sure of myself. If I had been depressed or deeply unhappy at the same time, and thought my apostasy was going to be deeply upsetting to people I loved, I might feel the need for some general reboot. Possibly in another country! It wouldn't help of course, but people aren't always rational.

I do think time is on your side here because it will get easier for her. She's not comfortable with her new identity yet, or sure what to do with it. There are ways for you to be supportive of her without violating your own beliefs. Find them and execute on that.

You have understandable fears of being discarded and that's a tough row to hoe, but I think there's real hope if you just continue to be kind, supportive, accepting, and present for her, that she'll come around. Clearly you feel it's worth the effort, and so go with your gut on that.

My mom was christian and my dad was agnostic / atheist. They were still in love when my mom died suddenly after 48 years. It can be done.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:212846
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.