Agnostic.com

12 4

Many years ago a wonderful health practitioner I frequented said something that I didn't understand at the time, but over time I have come to see. He said that our five senses are incomplete and can mislead you. I had to live with this for many years.

think-beyond 7 Feb 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

All of our senses can be fooled at some point, so a healthy amount of skepticism is useful.

Also, our enormous brains are far more capable of sensory fusion and interpolation than we think. I feel that is where our intuition comes from, we are always evaluating everything at once and intuition is a way for your subconscious to signal things that are important, like danger, and mating opportunities.

6 senses that is. your right especially about the sixth sense. we are not great at anything and don't even use much of this huge brain we have. the sixth sense is like gut feeling and that im in danger feeling and your will. humans are very out of touch with so much. we have to lose a sense to make another sense work better. the more tech we get the worse that will get.

Ya, the five senses certainly do not paint the entire picture of reality... they can be easily duped. As others have mentioned, we have other senses as well. I'm challenged with balance & equilibrium
thanks to chronic vertigo, as it requires input from a numbers of senses, the primary being the Inner ear - this is the one for which I'm compromised. So I then depend on sight, and proprioception - which is sensory feedback from your skin and muscles.

You hear of pilots "flying by the seat of your pants." When disoriented, they are trained to sense where and how the plane is pulling them in their seat and straps. Similarly for scuba divers... they are trained to figure out which way their bubbles are going.

How many times have we visually perceived something incorrectly? heard it incorrectly? smelled something that was not there? cold can feel like hot?

We are constantly measuring and interpreting the world and correcting and learning.

Sounds a lot like something that Deepak Chopra would say. Something on the sub-atomic level has nothing to do with our senses. if Michio Kaku ever said that anything similar to what you are describing I'd sure like to see the quote.

gearl Level 8 Feb 5, 2018

The quote was some time ago. You'll just have to search. But there is no "if" about it. He wrote this.

I believe it is a scientific fact (I am not a scientist) that we are all vibrations. That all solid matter is vibration. These vibrations vary in frequencies. So solid matter is not so solid but held together by these frequencies. WE are vibrations. We vibrate at various frequencies. Internally, our organs also vibrate at their frequencies. We could say that we are walking symphonies When we are healthy our symphony is harmonious. When an organ gets sick, its vibration lowers and interferes with our harmony creating dissonance. After coming to this conclusion, one day I read a statement saying the same thing by Michio Kachu, (Hope I spelled him correctly) the famous scientist. It makes me wonder what things can raise our vibrations to a higher level. Any thoughts?

Arent vibrations like waves - like brain waves? I think are capable of sending and receiving these waves.
I like the analogy of the symphony.

There's the fact that we only see a tiny portion of the electromagnetic spectrum and only here a small slice of the range of sound waves. Bees can see in what we call ultraviolet, and dogs can hear much higher pitches that we can, as examples.

There's also the fact that we don't take in everything (or most of us don't). Our brains fill stuff in. And often it does it wrong. We evolved to try not to be prey. Too much detail would definitely get in the way.

For starters...

^^This!! What we sense is in no way reliable. What we remember is in no way reliable. Even what we think and feel are not reliable. This 100% not woo and unrelated (on a macro level) to particle physics.

This is what I get from this post.
Examples:
Sight: Something might look nice but may hurt you.
Sound: Something may sound beautiful/intriguing but lead you to danger.
Touch: Something may feel nice but may attack you.
Smell: Something may smell good but may actually be rotten.
Taste: Something may taste good but may poison you.

In this sense, it is incomplete and misleading without knowledge, experience, intuition, and/or instinct.

Betty Level 8 Feb 5, 2018

Great! But it can go beyond.

wait a second here. All you folks are way ahead of me here. I need some catching up.... This all doesn't make sense to me. What other senses might there be?

Intuition, based on knowledge, education, and experience. Instinct, based on inborn survival to name two.

Another Practioner, a Homeopathic young man who studied in China, used to urge me to think less actively and allow thoughts to flow - perhaps to open up to that intuition. We don't have to grasp everything. There's such a thing as the periphery. What did Shakespeare say? There are more things .....

@Betty hmmmm... so you're saying that my mother really did have eyes in the back of her head? OK. I always suspected that must be the case.

@Wafflestomp ?? what sensory organ, besides eyes, detects different colors or brightness?

@think-beyond OK. Makes sense but isn't a sense. Its the under brain. I tell myself what time I want to be somewhere and I end up there, on time and without much backing and filling. It lust happens. Same with shopping lists - I've never used them and until the last year, never forgotten an item. In the last year I have forgotten three items. Very distressing. But these are not sensory items.

@Wafflestomp huh? aren't rods & cones part of the eyes?

@Dick_Martin

That my friend is specifically a Mom talent. 😉

@think-beyond Conscious and subconscious thoughts. Which do you think actually controls you?

@FrayedBear Interesting question. It probably varies from person to person. I would think that some people are more in touch with their subconscious than others and that this is a goal with some.

@FrayedBear They both control their own things but you control them. You can, within reason, teach your subconscious to do your bidding.

@think-beyond and @Dick_Martin Exactly however your subconscious can also refuse to cooperate with the conscious or even talk with it considering the conscious a stupid retard to be played with. The two together can achieve the seemingly impossible. Twice a day the window is open to everyone.

@Dick_Martin lol. But don't the hairs on the back of your neck sometimes rise in a hackle?

Advices that may help -
• do not drink the fluoridated water.
• do not mistrust your subconscious
• do not accept that the last proof seen/read/heard is final
• never accept that your solitary understanding is wrong because everyone else says that it is
• unless you lose it naturally let your hair grow long
• tune in to the earth

Really like this.

@think-beyond see also about subconscious vs conscious.

I can go with things beyond our 5 senses or the limits of those. SOme now argue there are more than 5 now

Did he elaborate? Suggest anything that could be done about it?

I think he was trying to tell her that senses alone are not enough. Eg. Something that smells good is not necessarily good for you like peanut butter cookies may smell wonderful but if allergic they may kill you.

We can't grasp everything. We don't need to define everything. Sometimes words free up knowledge and sometimes words limit that vast knowledge that is Infinite.

@Betty Sound advice, then. (I dislike peanut butter but I'm not allergic to it.)

@Coffeo

I don't like it either. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21360
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.