Agnostic.com

26 8

Why argue about God or any belief?

Has anyone ever been argued out of a belief in God or any question of faith? Is faith or belief premised on rationality?

I've never seen any point to arguing about such things. Debates about God seem silly and pointless. Since spirituality is a very private matter, it seems especially pointless to have such discussions through text on the Internet.

Have any of you ever convinced anyone online to stop believing in God? If not, why do you try?

LukeJWalker 4 Feb 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments (26 - 26)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I finally began to allow myself to listen to that ‘still small voice’ of doubt, it opened a crack in the foundation of my belief system. It has often been said that one doesn’t reason out of a position one didn’t reason into—I couldn't disagree more. When my doubts led me to question the faith of my fathers, it was reason and logic that I grew to rely upon. That led me to discover books by authors who had rejected their faith, as well as chat rooms filled with skeptics, in those early days of the web. And it was here that the arguments that had been forming in my own mind were strengthened and deepened by others who had preceded me in their journey of de-conversion. I had become a nullifidian.

The term argument has not always been associated with heated exchanges. In my experience, we need more rational, classical arguments about all of our beliefs and preconceptions. There is a shortage of critical thinking and reasoning skills in this country, and while religion holds no monopoly here, it is a good place to start! Religious beliefs are often too deeply planted to be uprooted by a single argument or debate, but small seeds of doubt must nevertheless be sown in order to create that necessary cognitive dissonance that can one day sprout into seedlings of sanity, and eventually replace the invasive plant of faith.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21422
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.