Agnostic.com

14 3

I get aggravated when people like Graham Hancock "challenges" atheists like Richard Dawkins to take DMT.

Instead of respecting Dawkins views, Hancock has to "challenge" him to take DMT. Why? To prove that he is more right? To "convert" him into spiritualism?

Do you need to stay isolated in a jungle drinking nasty DMT brew to understand who we are? No.

They're no better than Christians that tell us to read the Bible to find the "truth".

I've taken Ayahuasca in Peru a few times and honestly, your conditioned beliefs and brain chemistry really does influence your experiences. Ironically, Ayahuasca helped me become an atheist because I start to realize how much the BRAIN shapes our reality. Slowly I let go of man-made beliefs because of DMT.

People died taking Ayahuasca, it's no joke! Not for everyone! And no...I wouldn't do it again. I had to delete a "I took Ayahuasca...blah blah blah" portion from my profile because I don't want to influence people to go there.

I feel like if Dawkins did drank DMT, it would validate his non-belief system.

taemaria27 5 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree entirely.

Interesting. Psychedelic drugs change the way you think. Even relatively weak ones like weed. I had such an experience many and many a year ago. I could sing Mozart's 40th symphony first measures in reverse - last note to first. I could also see mathematical algorithms as a succession of states. Very illuminating. However it never led me to spiritual or religious thoughts.

After a few such experiments the negative side started to bother me. I coughed and had dry mouth and throat for hours on end so I gave it up.

You need to make it to the level where you are No Longer Aggravated.

We continue to learn grow, that is if we continue to search out true Wisdom and Knowledge. From your text you seem to be an avid Seeker. The ability to quickly realize that someone is not on your level, is a valuable tool when picking friends or a mate. Anyway I hope you find the right one for you. As for me, the strategy is never again let my Heart do all the thinking.

Both Hancock and Dawkins are commercial charlatans out to make a buck. Their "debates" are part of the scam.

Well I do not know but recall taking a quite a few rides with Acid, Mesc, and all the other stuff of the sixties. Oh I found love and fear and happy and all the colors but today, I just smoke weed,
Nothing of those days were truly worth the risk of it all, I now see it but of course was young and eternal. Any thing I tried was always with a very close friend, that kind of assurance was needed.

EMC2 Level 8 Feb 6, 2018

Greydon Square raps about taking DMT. If he enjoys it, I'm pretty sure Richard Dawkins would have nothing to worry about, however, people shouldn't ever be challenged to do anything by anyone other than themselves.

Isn’t ayahuasca the stuff that Les Stroud took on that episode of Survivorman? Some nut and leaf combo I think.

I was told that was not the same thing.

I first heard about DMT from some Joe Rogan clips that popped up on my youtube recommendations, the comment sections there were hysterical. As they were talking about it, explaining what it is and how it "opens up your mind" and all that fluff, I just rolled my eyes. Now from what I've read a bit about it, it can lead people to be more introspective and honest about things while giving you a crazy light show.

The second I saw the thread title my only response is laughter. "Here, take these drugs and maybe you'll be more spiritual or some shit". How is this in any way a rational way of convincing an atheist of all things that spirituality and god and all that gobbledygook exists? Screwing with your brain chemistry is not proof of anything, you're just screwing with your brain chemistry. Once that stuff wares off, you'll be back to being of sound mind after a while. Provided you are a rational person, you won't be jumping the gun and thinking that was anything other than a crazy trip.

I wonder why anyone thinks it would prove anything. Altering brain chemistry can change a person's outlook, sure, but there's no reason to think that changes reality. I could receive a blow to the head and think I'm Abradolf Lincler, but it wouldn't make it true. What if the DMT trip were really bad, as is sometimes the case? Would that be proof to whomever is issuing the challenge that the metaphysical universe is tearing apart at the seams rather than some magical spiritual plane of existence? It seems that they have no argument, so they resort to psychedelics in the hope that a chemically induced trip will change people's minds by appealing to emotion.

What is DMT???

I had to look it up, because I didn't know anything about it. It's a psychedelic nicknamed "the spirit molecule" and is the active hallucinogenic compound in ayahuasca. Here's some information I found: [thethirdwave.co]

@resserts Thank you.

i,ve heard some wild DMT tales, never done it myself,,,,

He doesn't need to as the research has shown religion can have the same effects as drugs and it's well documented all it means is that the rituals can raise the dopemine levels just like the drugs. He has nothing to prove that has already been proven by research .

Sam Harris has done some mind-altering shit, including DMT if memory serves. Didn't make HIM a Christian!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21512
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.