Agnostic.com

10 3

QUESTION Science Education: Teaching Children Creationism Is Child Abuse

The fact is, for many, once biblical creationism is rejected, Christianity unravels: there is no Adam and Eve, no original sin, and no need for redemption through the blood of Christ.

In addition, once one biblical account of supernatural absurdity is rejected, all other biblical accounts of supernatural absurdities become suspect, including the absurdity that is God. Indeed, implicit in evolution is a powerful argument for atheism. And this drives some Christians to ridiculous positions, like clinging to the untenable claim that the earth is only 6,000 years old, that human beings and dinosaurs lived on the earth at the same time, and that the story of Noah’s Ark is true.

To conclude: Forcing children to accept the religious superstitions of their parents is a form of child abuse. And it follows that teaching children Biblical creationism as a legitimate scientific alternative to the theory of evolution is an example of such child abuse.

zblaze 7 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Kitzmiller vs Dover verdict put this to rest. It is illegal to teach creationism as a fact.

It is most certainly a form of child abuse. As an educator, I face this situation on a daily bases. I teach scientific inquiry and I expect my students to question, dig for the evidence, show me the evidence. If its theory, summarize, disuss, infer, and question, question, question! Do not follow blindly.

I think Kitzmiller vs. Dover provided a step in the right direction. Here it is for those interested.

I believe that Jesus did not die on a cross. He was eaten by a dinosaur. That's why they couldn't find his body.

Good one!

I concur.

Yes , it equals teaching your children prejudice

EMC2 Level 8 Feb 6, 2018

I am really worried about our country. We know what has happened to the Middle East since they've rejected science and let their religious leaders take them backwards. I believe the same is happening here.

A math teacher would be fired if they taught their kids that 2+2=5 ... or a geography teacher if they taught that the world was flat ... so why does Society put up with "religious education" (there's an oxymoron if I ever heard one!) that teaches utter rubbish which has been proven wrong for 100s of years?

I agree! I am a science educator and have had to defend math and science lately. I have observed that we as a nation are becoming more and more "inquiry" illiterate.

I completely agree as well.

Absolutely agreed.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21574
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.