Agnostic.com

10 1

So I just got here and was wondering if anyone else has been discriminated at a job because of the lack of religion?

I have been working crappy jobs for many years because I won't conform to religious dogmas.

• 6 votes
  • 12 votes
GaryMoraco 2 Oct 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, it’s never happened to me. Though once I got into hospice, I chose my own clients. If they were openly religious, I wouldn’t work with them.

Is the Pope catholic? If so, is it just a co-incidence?

For me, it's not a yes or no question, since I don't talk about it at work. If i did, I'm sure I'd receive some backlash from it since so many are convinced that a god exists. We're more in the closet that the gay community, and neither of these groups should have to remain hidden.

It's never happened to me, yet.

RJAU Level 4 Oct 25, 2017

Once I declared at work that I was an atheist I found out that 7 others were also science origin of species thumpers. I also made two others start to think about their beliefs.

It has happened at some jobs, it has been a way to make friends at others.
Example, I worked as an apprentice plumber (mostly construction) and the leader of my crew was one of those, "Let's huddle and pray no one gets hurt today." guys. Day one, I refused initially but his glare when I tried to pass was enough to let me know I should change my mind. I was overheard saying, "At least we were on the clock for that bullshit." By another crew leader, who eventually requested me on his crew. I still got fired when I asked to be paid BEFORE attending the company Christmas party. It wasn't like I made a fuss, I just went to the supervisor who always had the checks, alongside a Muslim guy whom they had no problem letting skip the party on RELIGIOUS grounds. But my wanting to skip it for being non-religious and leaving the second I got paid was too much.
At a bookstore, it was the key to the 'cool kids club'. I had a hard time there, not because I was an atheist, but because I told the other atheists they were being dicks for not inviting everyone else to after work get-togethers just because they wore a crucifix or browsed the religious section.

Orly Level 5 Oct 24, 2017

I worked for the federal government and I was caught reading various different types of books ....nonchristain books about Wicca, crystals, Buddhism, and other stuff (I have a curious nature... But I did not make any claims to be anything. But not did it piss some of my coworkers off. And my boss was lds. I was harassed about everything after this. And some issues were blatenly fabricated with the help of others that thought I was a 'heathen' as I caught them calling me when they thought I was not around. This harassment caused me to go into a major depression and ended up quitting a this job that I had 16 years in because I was so unhealthily depressed. I am no longer depressed but have major anxiety when thinking about dealing with co workers and bosses

DeiP Level 5 Oct 24, 2017

It happens in subtle ways. Even if you do not say that your an atheist, they bait you into religious participation. I've heard many times that if you go for an interview in a Mormon company, they will offer you coffee to see if you are a Mormon or not. Christians will tell you right out that they are Christians or they will tell a church story, just to see how you react. Many places will hire you even if you do not conform, but once hired they expect participation in "charities" and functions around the business. They never tell you that your lack of belief is a problem, but they will find a way to get rid of you.

I actually voted 'no' as it has never happened to me, but I always feel I will be discriminated against because of my atheist viewpoint.

Can I edit this so other's can add more choices?

Yes, but when you do, we reset the counters.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2160
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.