Agnostic.com

5 7

A lot of truth here. This is what takes place in main stream society across the globe. But only the part that says, "some part of him is aware that they are myths & that he believes them only because they are comforting." I would debate that as.. because is he not aware they are myths or is delusional in thinking it will bring comfort. We fear what we do not know.

mistymoon77 9 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There is no doubt that Bertrand Russell was a great man and a great logician, however consider his thought and its effects and then compare them to the thought and effects of Sigmund Freud.

Both men were staunch atheists, but Freud understood that in myth, man finds a way of understanding himself. Man is not just a rational being, man's desires, his irrational side enables both good and bad valuations.

cava Level 7 Feb 7, 2018

Especially like the last sentence. I will try and keep that in mind for the future.

What gets me is how psychiatry hasn't stepped up to prove religion is a myth, but they can tell you your crazy for following a horoscope or believing in ghosts. What a bunch of ass holes!

Truth is obvious, but sometimes we can and do avoid it when what is true is also uncomfortable. The strong face reality and find ways to make peace with it.

Bertrand Russell--spot on, as always.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21830
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.