Agnostic.com

5 0

QUESTION Reason-and-religion atheism agnosticism nonreligious church-state

Before the Church began to claim its doctrines were fully based on reason it had long demonized evidence-based investigation of existence. The switch came soon after ancient Greek skeptical philosophy disturbingly re-emerged in the West around the 15th century after a millennia of dormancy following the collapse of the Roman Empire.

As far back as the 5th century, Catholicism pioneer St. Augustine of Hippo (354-430 AD) had damned reason as “the disease of curiosity … which drives us to try and discover the secrets of nature, those secrets which are beyond our understanding, which can avail us of nothing and which man should not wish to learn.”

Even many centuries later on the cusp of the Renaissance, rebel German priest Martin Luther (1483-1546), the guerilla commandant of the Protestant Reformation, was still vehemently condemning reason, once referring the desire to comprehend the physical reality of existence as “the Devil’s greatest whore.”

zblaze 7 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have had a long standing affair with that Ho, Most of the time, I would say I prefer Her.

Martin Luther was also killing Jews. Now, some people (apologists) like to claim he didn't actually, literally, kill them. Neither did Hitler. His policies and writings were his instrument of death. So check out Martin Luther. You may be very surprised at what you discover. They don't teach that stuff in Sunday School!!

It is amazing, given the preponderance of Christianity, that, in spite of this, the human race has embraced science and its discoveries.

Martin Luther was always a bit of a dichotomy to me. Not in an absolute sense mind you. On the one hand, you have this condemnation of reason and on the other is the seemingly reasonable indictment of the church for the sale of indulgences and holy relics.

I hope it is ok to correct an error in your post: Martin Luther was a monk, not a priest. And witches , for many centuries before the reformation, worked diligently on discovering and using the secrets of nature.
Peace,
Spinliesel

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21897
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.