Agnostic.com

1 0

LINK The Ending Needs Work: Humanists Can Lead on End-of-Life Decisions - TheHumanist.com

FTA: Humanists might appear to have a huge disadvantage when it comes to death and dying. We don’t have a rosy afterlife to point to, a reward in heaven to make up for all the suffering here on earth. Death is so very final. David’s loss was hard for me because I knew that everything he was—his thoughts, feelings, memories, personal quirks, his loyal, loving nature—would die along with his physical body. But there is strength in facing that truth unflinchingly. Ironically, the humanists in the family dealt with David’s death far better than the devoutly religious members, precisely because we were willing to face the facts and grapple openly with a great personal loss.

zblaze 7 Nov 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am dealing with this right now. My 99 year old Mother is in a hospice group home. Some event occurred on 10/22 that precipitated a fall (probably a TIA without a brain bleed). Complete deterioration over the past 10 days. I have to sit here and watch her linger, knowing that she is ready to end this life but her body simply won’t cooperate. I have been bombarded with chaplains praying for her, and one even told me she was singing hymns to her. Never bothered to ask about her or my spiritual beliefs. Just took it upon themselves to make the general assumption that our beliefs coincide with theirs simply because she is in a faith based group Home. I have always believed that we are biological being, no different than the animals or plants that surround us. We are born, we live, we die. The only difference is that a bunch of religious zealots decided that we should be forced to linger for as long as possible instead of being released from this life with our dignity in tact. What happened to individual rights? Why should we be forced to adhere to the “ethics and morals” of those with whom we do not agree?? This is nothing short of cruel and inhumane. If my mother were lucid (instead of being drugged into a stupor with morphine and Ativan), she would want to pass. Instead, her wishes have been chemically shackled. But of course, the expectation is to defer to mainstream religion and Big Pharma. After all, they both rake in the dollars from the organic process of dying. I hope by the time I’m ready to go that physician assisted suicide is legal in all states. If not, I’m going to make sure I am in a state where it’s legal.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:220088
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.