Agnostic.com

9 3

QUESTION "The Atheist Delusion"

Saw this video called The Atheist Delusion. I didn't watch the whole thing because it's a waste of my time, but skipping through & reading portions of it you can get the idea.
It's essentially an oversimplification of a complex process, so I can understand how one could come to such a conclusion - I was taught it & believed it for years. I would argue that they are making some dangerous assumptions. Therefore it's a weak argument IF you actually know what you're talking about. Though I've heard some geneticists & molecular biologists support similar positions as well.

Decieven 7 Oct 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You need to see these movies with some guy named Estus Pirkle.

@Decieven If Footmen Tire You, What Will Horses Do?

I live in an extremely religious right-winged town. Yesterday we had a round table at the library about fake news. A professor from ASU came up to direct it and surprisingly it came out extremely well. I probably made the most controversial comments there yet after the event I had several people who I know are conservative come up and tell me they agreed with most of what I said. I was grateful. I honestly think that videos like “The Atheist Delusion” are so far from the truth and so easily seen through that they hurt their cause more than help it.

gearl Level 8 Oct 28, 2017

That was twelve minutes of my life I will never get back, thanks, Decievan. What a pile of scat from an un-castrated male bovine.

I know it's may fault but, I refuse to take on that burden of responsibility.

First off, if you don't know who Ray Comfort is, you're missing out on some pure comedy. He has made a few videos and some atheist podcasters tear them apart in a podcast called God Awful Movies. Comfort is a dink.

I'll just give you a heads up, these guys have a very crude sense of humor. I don't recommended them if you're sensitive to that.

@Decieven That banana one o'boy thats a hoot. Its hard for me to believe those two are for real.

Make them watch Religulous 😀

Tolga Level 2 Oct 25, 2017

Haha I literally just posted the same link! The argument is a very far reach, and you can't use science to try and explain religion that doesn't make sense to me.

This was the most purile and pathetic attempt by theists to try use logical deduction to make a point. Try some science so you can actually have some facts to try and impress us with.

I think those few scientists who are believers, attribute that which we have not yet gathered enough knowledge to explain and understand to god. Having a specialized education in a specific field, even a Phd, does not mean that person thinks logically in all things.

I hate to say it, but most people are lazy when it comes to thinking. They grab at the simplest solutions which are simplistically easy to understand, even if the explanation doesn't really stand up to close scrutiny. Just because some humans are capable of rational thought, does not make humans rational animals, as most don't choose to use their rational thinking abilities, and there is nobody who thinks rationally 100% of the time.

I think there is also a tendency for some scientists who spend all day working on complicated and intricate problems to just want to relax their minds and escape into the simplicity of religion, which requires very little, if any, thought.

I find it simple actually. The claims of first cause have to extend to a creator also. If we are giving a creator credit for all life in the universe, then flesh eating bacteria, eye burrowing worms, and ticks are also its creation. WHY? We also have to ask about the personality and human attributes given to this creator by each culture and religion. In addition, I have a box and I tell you that there is a quarter in the box. There is a 50-50 chance because a quarter is a tangible material item. If I tell you that there is a magical miniature living pink elephant in the box, most rational people would say that it isn't so. We wouldn't leave it up for debate or burden of proof theories. It's just common sense. Why is Yahweh, Jesus, Allah, or even just a "force" in the universe any more real than Thor or Apollo?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2201
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.