Agnostic.com

4 3

Spoke to a friend who believes in god and thinks it's good structure for kids to go to church because believing in bod is not wrong. I explained to her that most religions except maybe two, fundamentally promotes intolerance and violence. structure for children can come In many constructive forms that don't involve an imaginary disciplinarian. Take your kid to clean up a lake every morning and study a science book on sundays. Science does not promote violence, is clear with facts, and makes clear what it is unable to explain yet. We don't need a god or religion to feel connected it's exactly those things that separate us. We are all connected through the energy proven to flow through us, as we are all composed of the same things that makes the grass and the stars. How could we not be connected. Stop the hate religion kills.

keepitsimple 4 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Another version of taking my kids to church. We were unchurched, and our kids in grade school came home and were telling us that the kids they played with told them they were going to hell, as didn't go to the local catholic church. We did some investigating, and ended up attending a Unitarian Universalist church in Albuquerque. We reviewed the curriculum for the classes, and though that they were very good. They didn't teach dogma, and had the kids do lots of thinking about things, and questioning. Must of worked as none of my kids are religious. Think they are great parents, and people.

Does anyone else see a bit of a contradiction here ?

"We don't need a god or religion to feel connected "

"We are all connected through the energy proven to flow through us, as we are all composed of the same things that makes the grass and the stars."

What exactly is this energy you speak of, if not some sort of religious concept ? It certainly doesn't have a scientific basis. And don't say electricity - there is no connection between the electric fields of individual organisms.

Fair enough. I was just listening to an explanation of the Higgs field which is supposed to permeate the whole universe, and then of course there is gravity etc so perhaps I am not so :right" as I first thought 😟

Indoctrination is so rigid. No amount of explaining would ever convince your friend that religion is an evil lie. One of the prime directives of religion(or any brainwashing)is that it is all good and true...even when the evidence CLEARLY points to the extreme opposite.

Take them to volunteer, it teaches them tolerance and to be grateful for what they have. One of the things wrong with our country is children feel entitled. The phone in the house was not mine, it was the familys'. Take away a child's phone today and they feel they whole world come crashing down.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22144
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.