Agnostic.com

3 5

If you should ever choose to address me, may I politely request that you never refer to me as a girl.
I am a woman. I, in turn, will not be derogatory towards you.
Thank you

Donotbelieve 9 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

i was of the impression that this is a condescension typical of australia only. i detest being called that, as well as "love", "darling" & "hun" by strangers or almost-strangers. so i would never!

I tend to refer to my SO (once we're in love) and my kids as "love". I never realized that it could be considered derogatory. "Darling" - I get that, but "love"?

That said, it's always a good idea to discuss preferred terms of endearment, sexual vocabulary, etc. That conversation is right up there with the inevitable discussions about politics and religion.

@TelegramMike, it appears you didn't quite read my comment. i am referring to strangers & almost-strangers calling me thus; i am NOT referring to my "special one" or my kids.

Ah sorry, my mistake : /

There’s a very interesting Ted Talk about language use in online dating. I’d recommend it, but for the sake of tl;dr, females are prized for perceived youth— calling yourself girl increases probability of being “liked” in the dating world and being called woman which implies feminism/independence = less “likes”.

I shall not refer to you as "girl," DoNot.

I'm trying to think of a situation where I would be offended if somebody referred to me or addressed me as a girl. Do you have an example?

@Donotbelieve Whoaaaaaaaaa there......... I did not say it is a compliment, nor that I don't agree with you, nor that I find it flattering.

What I did say is that I cannot THINK of a specific situation where I would be offended and asked you for an example.

Now that you mention private messages, I can IMAGINE somebody saying "You look very young, girl." or "You're really a pretty girl." Is that what you mean?

Where I live - Liverpool England, we say "girl" a lot to women. Its like a slang thing and not meant to be offensive. I may see a lady friend when shopping and to greet her I might say "alright girl"? She might reply "Hiya Lad". And Im 56!

@Donotbelieve I appreciate your clarification. Those actually are not examples of somebody referring to you as a girl, but that's cool. I think I was finally able to come up with example on my own. 🙂

@Donotbelieve Sure. From my reply to you above. Third paragraph:

Now that you mention private messages, I can IMAGINE somebody saying "You look very young, girl." or "You're really a pretty girl." Is that what you mean?

@Donotbelieve I did not say I had a personal example. I did ask you for a personal example. I gave you examples that I could IMAGINE. We are clearly having a hard time communicating, so let's turn the page and call it good.

@Donotbelieve, good on ya, woman 🙂 i totally get it, especially as at 5'10.5" i don't really feel small enough to fit into any "girl".

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22178
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.