Agnostic.com

2 4

LINK Reading and Its Influence

Are you a reader? If yes, What impact did it have on you? Is atheism one of them? Did it really give you a wider understanding of yourself, others and the world?

malayang-isipan 5 Nov 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, the point you make about not reading just one type of writing is the most important thing. Reading is really a cheap and easy form of traveling, which proverbially broadens your mind; but it is of no use just to circle endlessly round your own small town streets. It is not the mileage you do, but how far from home it takes you.

Since childhood, I have been a voracious reader. Through reading, I learn about other people, families, countries and cultures. Reading is escape. Reading is fun and a joy. Reading is an unbelievably healthy way my high energy medicates itself. My vocabulary increases with reading. I develop compassion and understanding.

As a child, I loved The New Yorker cartoons. There I discovered great comedians: Steve Allen, Woody Allen, Steve Martin and more. Laughing over their witty essays, I learned about irony and the double-entrende'.

One of my favorite childhood memories is reading with my mother before bedtime, with two kids snuggled up on each side. I did the same with my daughter.

As a teenager, I dove into literature surveys:

1. Russian literature;
  2. Gay writers;
  3. South American great authors;
  4. Black literature;
  5. Shakespeare's sonnets and plays.

Reading made me a great student. As a senior in high school, when I took the SAT, I scored over the top in reading comprehension, writing and spelling. The University of Michigan waived all of my required English courses.

My first book was published in 2008.

Smarty pants. 🙂

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:221885
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.