Agnostic.com

5 0

So, I take my car to pepboys to replace the tires, when I drove off the car was shaking because they didn't balance the tires so I took the car to another pepboys and they offered to replace the thermostat so car could pass state inspection then when I drove off the cylinder misfired they claimed it had nothing to do with them and the spark plugs need to be replaced so they reset the code and it ran ok for 2 weeks now all four cylinders are misfiring and the car won't accelerate so I think they fucked up the car on purpose to make more money and the tires too. Every time they fix something something else is broken. What do you think?

Atheistman 6 Feb 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I stand corrected you do have to fix engine light on to pass inspection. If the car is newer and you haven't serviced it a lot, usually the O2 sensor is the first thing to turn engine lite on.
About that thermostat, regardless of what anybody says it's purpose is to get the engine to warm up faster so you have heat in the car. The problem is it will stick sooner or later and possibility do serious damage to your engine or sit you on the side of the interstate at 3 o'clock in the morning. If you can take being cold for a few minutes longer you need to throw that thing as far as you can. I haven't had one in any of my cars for the last 30yrs and I haven't had a car overheat in the last 30yrs either. (by the way I've had at least 50 or 60 cars in the last 30yrs) total gearhead.

I am not prone to believe in these kinds of business conspiracies. Especially when a company has been around a very very long time and has a reputation to protect.

A friend at worth the other day said she thinks Zoosk (online dating) shows good looking people who are primarily far away so people will keep paying money hoping and waiting the good looking ones will get closer.

I just don't think it goes that way.

I'm a mechanic. There's zero chance they fucked up your car on purpose just to make more money off you. That's a big misconception about this line of work... we really have no incentive to do that and big chain stores like pepboys have strict policies about work being done and documentation. No mechanic is going to risk his job for $30 which is what he'd make replacing your spark plugs.

Having said all that. It does sound like there may be some misdiagnosis going on. When there's a misfire, it's very common for people to assume spark plugs without doing any testing. What the car really needs is a diagnostic service to figure out what the problem is. Knowing nothing about your vehicle I can say usually a random occasional misfire is going to be caused by a bad coil or if it's an older vehicle, cap + rotor + wireset or something. It could just as easily be carbon buildup in the throttle body, clogged fuel injectors / fuel filter, fuel pump not building pressure, etc.

Based on your description it sounds like it really is just a coincidence. You said it ran fine for 2 weeks after the service, and there's really nothing in a thermostat job that could cause those symptoms. I'm assuming they didn't replace the spark plugs and only reset the code light for you. If they DID replace plugs then my best guess would be that they used non-oem plugs. But again you'd more expect to find an occasional random misfire if that was the case, not a dead cylinder with no power. You really need a compression test and a proper diagnosis.

By the way all this is expected with higher mileage vehicles. I don't know how many you've got on your odometer but the only way to avoid this kind of maintenance is to just buy a new car. For most people it's cheaper to spend $1500 a year on maintenance than it is to buy new though. I know I'm definitely one of them lol.

You are full of shit, I've been there also, and I have seen shops damage cars for the repair money. I've also have been told not to let cars go out with just a oil change.

@Atheistman They only balance the tires if you're paying them to balance the tires. If they rotated tires for free, and the rears were out of balance you're going to feel a lot of vibration after rotation. It's common.

@MikeFlora You're paranoid. There's no need to damage someones car just to make money. Half of all cars that come in at a minimum need tires, brakes, front end parts, something. If a car truly doesn't need anything you finish the job and move on to the next.

It's only broke customers who think their 200,000 mile turd bucket shouldn't require any maintenance. If you have a high mileage vehicle you could be paying $1500 a year in maintenance and that's all there is to it. If you don't like it buy a new car with a warranty. Or learn to fix your own shit.

Just so you know, a thermostat is a internal engine part. Spark plugs only need replacing if the car is hard to start... It just dawned on me, I bet the plugs are loose. They didn't tighten them up right and the plugs have worked loose. What you are describing is exactly what would happen with loose spark plugs.

Well, thermostats have nothing to do with inspections in any state. Replacing the plugs was probably bogus also.
Please tell me what kind of car you drive, how many miles, and what year it is before you have anything else done. Looks like you are right about what they are doing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22359
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.