19 0

Where do we go after we die other than turning into dust?

Where do we go after we die other than turning into dust?

By SonnyMlaPH
Favorite
Please or register to see comments
19 comments

define what we is, then it might be possible to discuss.

DanielEarley Level 1 Oct 12, 2017
"We" the people, "we" the human beings, "we" the persons that we are, "we" who are here in our "A" Community learning from each other to become better persons. That's the "we" in my inquiry. Thank you.

I think we go back to dust. The desire for an afterlife is what leads humans to invent religions.

Harleyman Level 5 Oct 12, 2017
We really do go back to dust as a sort of first step

Nowhere. The electricity that produces "you" stops.

rbatt014 Level 2 Oct 12, 2017
I believe we go everywhere scattered in the ether

We go into a hole in the ground and redistribute ourselves back to the environment, with no conscious awareness of doing so. Unless we're lucky enough to die in the wilderness, where we may be lucky enough to feed the wildlife directly. There's no reason to fear the non-awareness of death. We were equally unaware before we were born, because in both cases we did not exist.

JMartin80527 Level 1 Oct 12, 2017
I agree . . . I have only one reason why I fear death - I don't want my family burdened by my unpaid bills.

We have no empirical evidence about anything that might or might not happen after death. It's a great leap into the unknown. Might be nothing, might be terrible, might be great. Only one way to find out.

Liam Level 2 Oct 12, 2017
Go to the other side and back?

We go exactly where we were before we were born. The big nothing. We either leave our bloodline behind or we leave art or human interactions of some kind to be remembered. But we really go back to nothing.

flogrom1960 Level 2 Oct 10, 2017
Someone said our atoms are recycled into something else, sort of life ever after - for our atoms.

We become heat and calories, that’s it.
There is no evidence to suggest we become disembodied consciousness, able to intend or act in ways that defy the laws of physics.

AMGT Level 5 Oct 10, 2017
Someone said our atoms are recycled into something else, sort of life ever after - for our atoms.
Correct, Sonny.
Nothing is created or destroyed, it simply switches form.
The point of my original response is in the lack of evidence for the continuance of consciousness without a body/brain.
The “we” referred to in the original post (OP).
After death, that which is capable of discerning “we” or “me” or “you,” is no more.

Nowhere. I mean, maybe reabsorbed into the earth but that's about it.

AnnaGuareno Level 3 Sep 30, 2017
yes, ashes to ashes, dust to dust

I like to think there's an afterlife. Not the whole heaven and hell religious based after life, but a place where everyone transcends after losing their physical body. Granted, I accept that I don't truly know what happens until I actually die and that there's a good chance I simply cease to be after taking my last breath. It's just a cutsie belief I tell myself to feel better about it that seems the most possible.

KLestrangexox Level 1 Sep 30, 2017
Please let us know what it's like after you cross over to the other side. And . . . aaaaahhhh, I hope you get to meet JFK or Princess Diana and record their stories of the things they wanted to tell the world
I want to believe in an afterlife as well....but who knows? However, I have been at the bedside of many dying people and have experienced that the very religious ones had the hardest time "letting go". Some experienced truly paralyzing terror. So I guess the afterlife is very real for them. If they were better than I by believing in God, then why the terror? People who had made peace with life usually slipped away quietly. Something to ponder.
enlightenedcan: So, those religious ones don't seem to let go of life? Maybe their bodies were undergoing rapid chemical changes resulting in "paralyzing terror." . . . or, maybe they took that quote from Freetothink to the max: "If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!"

I watched my grandmother, a woman of the world, die on her bed, her hand gripping my hand. Before she made the last 3 gasps she uttered, "they're here". Then she took 3 big deep breaths, her chest heaved after the last gasp and her grip loosened. I don't know if it was just my imagination, but I remember noticing a very slight upward movement of the spot of the mattress where she was lying. Whew, just an illusion maybe. But my dad also noticed it, so did the doctor and medical attendants.

My mother, a very religious woman, passed away peacefully in her sleep. She used to hum a melody to sleep. When the humming stops my dad would tuck her in. And she does the same when she woke up. But then my dad never heard another melody from her.
My question is not to be confrontational. I just want to know, do you believe in an afterlife for a reason or do you just want there to be an afterlife?

You cease to exist. There is nothing.

Purplechic5 Level 3 Sep 29, 2017
Yes, our bodies cease to exist. But according to one member, Draco, our atoms will be converted into something else, sort of eternal life - for our atoms

I'm not really sure. I want to be cremated and buried so that a tree will grow above my ashes. So I believe that if my spirit doesn't go anywhere, at least my body will provide some nutrition for a new life. If my soul does go anywhere, I like to believe that there's a collective consciousness. Call it Heaven, Hell or just the afterlife if you want, but I believe that all souls go to the same place, assuming they go anywhere. And maybe that's where human morality comes from, from the collective consciousness surrounding us.

ErichZannIII Level 6 Sep 28, 2017
Our bodies cease to exist. But according to one member, Draco, our atoms will be converted into something else, sort of eternal life - for our atoms . . . Ancient Egyptians have this "Well Of Souls" maybe some sort of a containment area. I thought their souls will be beamed back to the Belt Of Orion - - - "beam me up, Scotty"
Well, just like Kinetic energy is Converted into Potential Energy, so too will a buried body's potential energy be converted into the energy needed for plant life to grow. That's what I believe, anyway.
In that case I won't be a good fertilizer because I'm a heavy smoker and a heavy drinker, though I watch my diet. At 62 I really have to.
And I eat a lot of fatty foods and get very little exercise. That doesn't mean we won't provide decent fertilizer for the earth. Maybe I'll just get my body put into a wood chipper. It's cheaper than being cremated, and will turn me into a nice chunky paste that will readily decompose and provide nutrition for the growing tree, LOL.

No dust for me. I'll be ash. Why must there be something else? If the religious people believe that when you die you're in a much better place, then why don't they end their life now? Forgot, It's a sin.

Penultimate Level 4 Sep 28, 2017
hahahahahaaaaaaaaah ! ! !

Our bodies age, die and eventually turn to dust. This is a fact, so anything else is speculation. Is there a bright light? Scientists explain that it is the process of our brain dying....as neurons shut down there is a chemical reaction.....kind of like the "big bang" of our brain. The light seems to give most people some comfort, so it may also be the last "self-preservation" signal our body emits. However, there is documentation of death and near-death experiences whereby people reported leaving their bodies and becoming a spirit. These people reported events they witnessed while being in this spirit-state which were not only accurate but also should have been an impossibility. So, I keep an open mind about an afterlife. Who really knows?

enlightenedcan Level 3 Sep 27, 2017
sssso, that explains the bright light! they didn't show that in the movie "Flatliners" but they did show it "Ghost"

"We" don't go anywhere. We are a construct of ourselves which is a whole area of academic research across many fields.

We just contribute to the entropy of the universe as our atoms are converted into something else - that in an of itself is proof of a (virtually) eternal life - at least until the entropy finally stabilizes in the Heat Death.

Draco Level 5 Sep 23, 2017
I don't think I'll enjoy an eternal life with my atoms converted into something else and maybe scattered all over the ether and, worse, merged with others' atoms. So, no more "identity" for us then? no more singing George Benson's "learning to love yourself is the greatest love of all"?

Yes, there's no way out. Human life has e tragic end, but we will live in our children whish is pretty much southing. So do our best to raise decent offspring, and let's worry more about future generations, not allowing our selfish gene flourish.

Lonely Level 4 Sep 23, 2017
Please allow me to make some minor typo errors for the benefit of others who might it hard to read thereby finding it also hard to understand . . . here it is, with or your permission, he-he! :

from Ms.Lonely: Yes, there's no way out. Human life has a tragic end, but we will live in our children which is pretty much soothing. So do our best to raise decent offspring, and let's worry more about future generations, not allowing our selfish genes to flourish.

Ms.Lonely, you seem to be talking about our legacy and passing of our genes (atoms) to our children when you said "we will live in our children". When you continue to live, in whatever form, even after your physical being (your body) has died/decayed, isn't that some sort of "life after death" and could also mean eternal life?' Please refer to Mr.Draco's scientific explanation upstairs. Thanks

The assumption that you go someplace has no evidence. If you would like a somewhat accurate representation of what it feels like when you are dead, just imagine what you felt like before you were ever conceived.

Vistile Level 1 Sep 22, 2017
You nailed it. It was not a feeling it was not existing. I'm not afraid of death I'm afraid of living badly
Excellent analogy! Best thus far... ????????
Vistile, I think I have to watch these movies again "Flatliners" with Julia Roberts and the funny "The Frighteners" with Michael J. Fox.

. . . and, yes, paul1967, I'm also not afraid of death but afraid of living badly

Into the stomachs of ground-dwelling maggots; unless like me you wish to be burnt, then polluting the air.

Penultimate Level 4 Sep 22, 2017
nnnnyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ! ! !

I just believe that. When die we die nothing more nothing less

Selah613 Level 4 Sep 22, 2017
I've been looking for a guy who's been to the other side to tell his story of how it is out there even if it's just according to what he's heard from JFK or Princess Diana

The assumption being that when one dies there is something to go somewhere.

atheist Level 7 Sep 22, 2017
now I'm really confused. I don't know how we all started to be and now I still don't know how we're gonna end - Jeeeeeeeeeesus Chrrrrrrrist! . . . oops!
The state you were in before being born is the same state you will be in after you die - oblivious - there is no awareness before or after.
I thought atoms are intelligent - oh, well, what the hell
I have a pet atom & it's as dumb as a doorpost!
Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.com is a non-profit organization promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion