Agnostic.com

5 4

It's never to late to learn to play music. I'm learning West African style dundun (bass) drums. I love the deep sounds and the community gained from doing my part in interlocking patterns. African polyrhythms are amazing. What instruments are others learning to play and things you are learning while doing so??

sgherf 5 Feb 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Refreshing post! I learned how to play the flute in high school and still play it once in a while. I recently started learning how to play the violin. After watching my granddaughter, daughter-in-law, and son play their violins, I just had to jump in to learn. We have since started learning and playing as a family. The experience has made family gatherings a lot more fun.

Right, it's never to late to learn music. After I retired from USDA with 35 years as an engineer, my wife bought us tickets to the first Rivercity Bluegrass Festival, which was held in Portland, Oregon. I came home from the 3 day festival knowing I wanted to learn to play an instrument. When is was young, did take a couple years of piano lessons. In high school, played French horn in the band. Then nothing. Wife said to get a Fender Standard Jazz bass, and learn to play it. Got on ebay, and got the 7th one I had bid on. Then got a Hal Leonard Book Bass playing, and an amp and was off. Within a year, with wife and some friends we started a band that is still going 15 years later. Also learned to play banjo, and mandolin which has the same tuning. And can play rhythm guitar. I can play at jams, so am adequate. Do have a Euphonium that am learning to play, as want to play in a brass band. Being retired I have the time to learn, and also the want. Beside the Celtic band, do play with two other small groups. Think making music with others is about as good as it gets.

It's amazing how a live performance can make you feel. I started the same way, at a concert.

I didn't start teaching myself how to play the piano until I was 28. It's been off and on since then, but I also started seriously writing songs when I was about 33. Even though that's not really far into my life, but it's really never too late. Learning song structure was something new for me. Not that much different from writing an essay or a short story etc. Learning how to write visually is pretty cool.

Cool! We did a lot of that in world music in college. Glad you found your art! I've been a singer all my life, currently learning guitar after a couple decades of buying them far better than I could play them, lol. Mastering an instrument is very frustrating as a singer; took a bit to add the instrument into my musical communication, so to speak. But breaking down the mechanics of that assisted in my composition, conducting, and sped learning other stringed instruments. Love the challenge now, and have taken that determination into other aspects of my art (acting, writing) and life. Cool question, enjoy your weekend.

I just got my saxophone back...lent it to my nephew when he was in UMASS marching band. Just took it up a year or two before that...always loved the way they sounded, figured I better make a move because they won't let you get one in a nursing home, lol!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22412
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.