Agnostic.com

3 1

Discrete or discreet.

As a single man I'm not ashamed to admit that I subscribe to the occasional dating site, but why do so few ladies (and possibly men too, but I don't view their profiles) know the difference? Oh and if you're female and do know the difference I'd love to hear from you. 😉

Silvertongue 7 Feb 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I remember it this way: in "discrete" the e's are separate, so distinct. In discreet, the e's are together and maybe they need to keep it hush-hush 😀

Discrete/discrete is a term that is commonly misused in the music world too. Discrete, describing surround mixes, means meaningful, unique information in the surround and rear speakers (and now in the height speakers for Atmos, DTS-X and Auro-3D). If there is no discrete information, the fronts were copied to the surrounds and rears, which most surround enthusiasts will avoid.

Spelling in general in profiles is really disappointing. And a bit of a turn-off, I might add.

Regarding this particular word - only those sneaking around would have a need to be discreet.

: constituting a separate entity : individually distinct

several discrete sections

2 a : consisting of distinct or unconnected elements : noncontinuous
b : taking on or having a finite or countably infinite number of values

discrete probabilities

a discrete random variable

Two different meanings !

I suppose it depends on which one of these you're needing to use, discreet is the one I'm more familiar with

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22587
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.