Agnostic.com

15 7

It's right in front of your face how can you deny it!

I've said these words so many times to Christians, but they just create nonsense excuses like well that's the old testament. But the God you worship is telling you to stone to death a young girl if she does not bleed on her wedding night. Do you know how many reasons there may be for a girl not to bleed on her first time? Does your God know? You freely worship, this God? All I get is some nonsense about it being a parable. or a half dozen other excuses. How do people turn a blind eye to such clear evil and say it's good?

paul1967 8 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Bible says a lot of idiotic things. Unfortunately a lot of people still believe in it. Hopefully someday people will see the light.

I hope the teaching of science has advanced since I was a kid in the sixties.

Well, it definitely has, that's the wonderful things about science, it keeps revising itself as it gets more and better information. This is the failure of religion, religion doesn't look to new and better information. Its dogma says we already have the answers

Just listen to the atheist debates and radio blogs. The stubborn "Don't confuse me with facts' will amaze you. Their answers just go in ridiculous circles of nonsense. The extremists may as well be covering their ears and humming loudly.

an old man would slobber over 2 square inches of fabric, assessing her discharge of the night before. reeeeeally!!!!?? & they call this religion ....

they are sheeple totally groomed and unwavering.

I have to imagine that there is a way to deconstruct the Bible in a way that would expose it for what it is.

@paul1967, absolutely possible & imo already being done by Richard Dawkins e.g. I just don't have the masochist's touch to delve into all the dreadful crap any longer, but do appreciate anyone else's efforts to that respect 😉

@walklightly I love reading the Bible. I know it sounds weird and maybe even a little ugly but I read it with awe. I've looked into how it was constructed and the more you know the more you understand what's going on. It's been altered and the old testament was originally a polytheistic story. Yahweh was one of many God's. I'll send you a link that explains it better than I can

[seeingthroughchristianity.com]

thank you, @paul1967, i bow to your courage 😉 no, seriously, i myself am currently battling through an account of a hasidic jew's path towards heresy, & it contains many descriptions of the utterly boring & nonsensical rituals they still have to follow to this day, my hackles rising if i immerse myself too much.

you're better of teaching the young how to think rather than arguing with the grown-up fools.

@walklightly I have very little resentment of Jews. They are less anti-science and less obstructive to the science than are the Christians.

@LeighShelton, i think you are right .

@paul1967, Shulem Deen, the author of "all who go do not return", used to live with family in an all-hasidic village, quite ghetto-like, in rockland county, new york. the place is called new square, anglizised from the sect's name, the skverers. they live without radio, are discouraged from reading english etc., following the motto: 'all that is new is forbidden by the torah'. the old testament is obeyed to this day, by people whose women, once married, may never show their hair to anyone anymore, including their husband. so they shave their head every month & wear a wig & hat instead. & many more excruciations, so to speak.

@walklightly I would consider those Jews to be an extreme example. The average Jew behaves much the same as non-believers do.

you could say that about many people who just say they believe in religion but do nothing about the belief and break all their rules @paul1967

Listen to Matt Dillahunty and Seth Andrews. Great opposition with truth.

@paul1967, yes, that is true, they are religious extremists. the average believer - in this case jewish - is just making it possible for the extremists to survive nowadays.

@walklightly awe, yes, I agree with you again, however they exist and unfortunately they will continue to exist. My point was that of the three abrahamic religions Judaism is the most progressive and least repressive of the three. All three have their crackpots but if I had to have one as a neighbor I'm picking the Jew every time.

ok, @paul1967, but make it an "average believer", please 😉

When people say that the OT doesn't matter, they're overlooking a passage in the NT where Jesus says that he came not to abolish the law but to fulfill it. They can't dismiss it so easily. And if they call that a parable, they really don't know what they're talking about, because that's clearly not a metaphorical story but rather a definite mandate.

Oh, I've taken that to them many times. Their out is with Paul, Paul was trying to sell the religion to the pagans, but the pagans were not bitting for understandable reasons like not wanting to get their penis snipped and the fact that Ham sandwiches taste so good. So Paul came up with this nonsense that by Jesus dying he fulfilled the law and now most of the laws can be ignored. The only ones they have to obey are the ones Jesus talks about in the Bible. It's mental gymnastics that I don't want to bore you with but I can if you're interested.

Weeelll, Iooks Iike I'm really fuck on my Big night
.daaaayaam..

Did you have a date tonight?

@paul1967
Is this a real date or you know a hookup date?

Just remember that you are planting a seed. It may take decades for it to sprout, or it may never. But you know that nothing will happen if the seed is not planted. I regret that I can not go back and thank all the people who planted seeds that finally resulted in my freedom.

@TommyMeador Sooo many times I hear on this site "Don't bother, waste of time", thank you for saying what you said, it will keep me arguing reason for another 10 yrs.

I call it selective reading comprehension. I will post a link to an article on Facebook, use their argument and support my discussion. Other commentators will say, "But the article never said..." Then I have to say,"Um yeah it did", and cut and paste the exact quote and give a paragraph number.

The elitist snobby, egotistical side of me wants to think you have bare minimum a bachelors? How did you get through it? But my other side thinks, "Yeah, we repress or ignore information that contradicts our pre-conceived notions. You don't have to agree with my sources or articles- but you do have to read and comprehend them to debate with me.

I call it zombie brain, the zombie in their mind has a particular appetite for any information that could cause doubt that the Bible, is the word of God. I think the fear of Hell and fear of being disconnected from their community creates the zombie that lives in their head.

Like how Christians don't read the Bible and do not know what it says. Then, when enlightened, do read it and go..."oh, shit."

intense indoctrination

When you encounter people like that there is no reasoning with them, they will always have an excuse. To question the validity of their faith is to question their identity and that can be a very scary thing for them. It is amazing that we have made it to the twenty-first century and this is still problematic.

Betty Level 8 Feb 10, 2018

I have believed in things before, never religion but I had trust in what I thought I knew as absolute truth. When someone confronted me with logic and evidence, I realized I was wrong. It was uncomfortable, but I accepted the facts. It's what people do when faced with better evidence. I'm frustrated with their blind avoidance to look at the blatant deception that stands out right in front of them.

@paul1967

I agree with you. For some logic and evidence is not enough.

It's like the stupid creationist argument against science. 'Well, science must be wrong because it changes and God doesn't.' Of course nature changes and evolves. And scientists know this and relent when wrong, welcoming new discoveries.

@GoldenMean

I agree. Life is all about change.

Those desert tribes with their imaginary 'God of the Desert' be it Jehovah or Allah had a real 'hangup' about women. And there are millions of people who still take these or this 'god ' seriously.as portrayed in their so called 'holy ' scriptures. Doesn't say much for the mentality of the human race does it.

No, no it doesn't. It scares the crap out of me. (sorry language)

Especially men. No offense. Why are they terrified of women?

Hi Golden. I think it's less of a fear factor and more of a 'primitive' tribal thing.

The honest answer, if they'd give it that way, is that they don't personally endorse such a notion and so they find some way to interpret or cherry-pick it away.

The reason Christians (or at least the fundamentalist variety) can't be honest in that way is that they are bibliolaters who worship the scriptures above all else. Since they're completely invested in the Bible being inerrant and infallible, they have a hermeneutic (an interpretational system) to try to reconcile internal and external and logical inconsistencies. This is one of facet of their hermeneutic.

The Old Testament being superseded in many respects by the New Testament is the quickest way to swat the particular fly you're pointing to. Not that it's going to work, but the way I'd counter this is to say that while this particularly rule may no longer apply, it DID apply at one time, and since they allege that their god is immutable (never changes) then it still poses a moral conundrum for them.

I get that argument all the time about the new testament is a replacement for the old testament, but here is the thing I point out, It's the same God. In fact, it's Jesus himself because Jesus is God (Trinity) who commanded this law regarding stoning "potential devirginized" women, God did the same thing for slavery, forcing raped women to marry their rapists, stoning gays and on and on. The fact that the new testament is a little less brutal in no way makes God less accountable for the laws he had already past. God is supposed to be an all loving, all forgiving, all-knowing God and the Bible plainly shows the opposite characteristics for this God.

That popes replace Jesus and so are infallible, and that Mary never screwed her husband and had all those siblings of Jesus....the ridiculous just goes on and on. Hallucinating an image of Mary or Jesus in a window or rock means you really believe, right? Bring on the media and raise this person to sainthood--whatever that's good for. Oh, yeah, for one more human infallible to pray to. What a racket, popes. They can do whatever they want, including making priests protect criminals by "taking their confession." Such a racket.

I think it's just because they're scared to death of that first domino falling. Once someone starts to question everything they've ever believed to be true, they do not stop. It's very frightening for some people and they choose not to start questioning. Fear leads them into religion and it's usually fear that keeps them there. Some folks just cannot face their own fears.

Well said KK. That's it in a 'nutshell'

@Skyfacer Thank you. I have my moments. They're brief and exhausting, but I do have them.

I guess, I can't do that to myself, but I suppose some people can. If I see two suns in the sky and someone comes along and shows me that the second sun is merely a reflection of the single sun I don't find a way to justify there being two suns.

@paul1967 And I'd venture to say that is why you frequent this site. There's not a lot of that "not questioning" going on here.

@paul1967 funny you mention the two suns thing. A Youtube vid I came across was purportedly showing heretofore unknown phenomena and apparently trying to pass it off as real, as evidenced by their displays in the video. One picture showed what appeared to be two suns, but was clearly the sun and a reflection of some sort. WTF? Do people think others are really that s stupid? Oh, yeah, forgot; FlatEarthers.

@Condor5 Yeah, those people are even more lost than theists. They know they're wrong, they just enjoy the conspiracy aspect to everything. It's that whole Nibiru conspiracy nonsense. I tried explaining the gravitational impacts that anyone with a telescope would see if a brown dwarf star entered our solar system but they didn't seem to care that they were wrong because they know it's happening and apparently so does NASA. These people are beyond any help I can offer them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22817
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.