Agnostic.com

7 5

QUESTION An insider explains how rural Christian white America has a dark and terrifying underbelly

Based on my observations, this is an accurate account.

Freespirit64 8 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I live in maybe the most progressive town in Nebraska, and I see this attitude prevails here as well. The deal is, I see it mostly among the older generations. Ask anybody under 40 and your reaponses are going to be much more of a mixed bag.

Good read and made some good points. It does seem to ignore that both parties are complicit in the increasing wage gap between the rich and the rest of us poor slobs. It also over sterotyped certain communities. I am all for a real populous movement. However, that movement needs to include all people. Socially things have been getting better in this country, with the religious right fighting it all the way. Well Trump and both houses being in control of the GOP probably will momentarily set it back. However, social issues are progressing. Fiscal issues are going backwards. Get money out of politics for both parties. Money "Trumps" ideology for the majority of politicians Also I believe there is some elitism with Democratic Party. I remember with the Clinton Vs Paula Jones fiasco, James Carville made a comment, "That's what happens when you drag a hundred dollar bill through a trailer park.". Oh his fellow corporate Democrats thought that was so funny. The author writes well and makes some great points, but seems to fail to realize it is only a piece of the puzzle.

Long read but something I have heard over and over for years. This movement is happening in other places as well. Education is a resource, pure and simple. The Yankees had industry and the south had agriculture (cotton). This was the cause of the Civil war. Agriculture, because it is tied to the land and local always lags in knowing what is going on in the world and being somewhat self-sufficient they do not understand the idea of societies needing to bond. Rural is always more conservative than urban.

When people are poor and have to struggle they tend to look to another life past this one. I can understand that. What I have a problem with is that the rich use that need as a way to gain power and control. Overpopulation has a big role in this as it reduces the available resources (we live on a finite planet). I see a common thread among all the country's that are having this problem is excessive (that word is important) immigration. People see outsiders competing with resources in their own backyards and get angry. I experienced this in Germany when the Soviet Union was crumbling and afterward when the wall came down and the E. Germans fled to the West only to see low skilled being taken by non-Germans.

I know I am going to take a lot of hits on this, I always do but I strongly feel immigration should not be emotion based about individuals and but reason based on policies that affect societies.

"The real problem is that rural Americans don’t understand the causes of their own situations and fears and they have shown no interest in finding out. They don’t want to know why they feel the way they do or why they are struggling because they don’t want to admit it is in large part because of the choices they’ve made and the horrible things they’ve allowed themselves to believe."

Shout it from the mountaintops. Great link, ty for the share.

I heartily concur. Deliberate ignorance is just as deadly as poison.

I found no specific fault with the article, though I think it stresses some points unnecessarily. All in all, it appears to be spot on. I am concerned for my country because of the directions it seems to be going. Very disturbing.

By the way, @Freespirit64 if you love motorcycles and horsies and bunrabs, you're okay in my book.

I agree with your observations!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22834
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.