Agnostic.com

8 0

Can you name a thing that is neither random NOR not random?

MrControversy 7 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

everything happens for a reason so things just seam random.

Is this a trick question? I can't see "randomness" and "not randomness" as anything but opposites of each other. And therefore I can't name a thing that is neither. But I don't think there's such a thing as "random". All events are consequences of prior events. I can't name a thing that is random. And I name everything as not random.

Basically I was trying to explain to someone the Dilemma of Determinism but it kept going over their head. I demonstrated that neither option could account for free will and so I was trying to show this person that free will must be a thing that is neither random NOR not random which is impossible. So I posted this to see if I wasn't going crazy. Sorry for the lack of context.

@MrControversy Ahhh the Agnostic.com's age-old free will debate. Good logic there, actually.

I posted, what seems a while back now but it was only a few weeks ago, two videos about the "split brain" phenomenon or the "alien hand" syndrome. The two videos demonstrate that "we" actually do not know what we think (until we think them). But, as the videos demonstrate, our bodies actually do know before "we" know (as in before it enters our brains when we think it) - because our bodies react without us knowing until we "see/think" our bodies react.

Although the phenomenon/syndrome is not a direct rationalisation for the absence of free will, I still find it a good enough case (just one more idea among others) that presents the case for "we have no REAL free will".

[agnostic.com]

Very true. I have heard of something of the likes. About how the brain makes up its mind before 'we' do. That is another compelling case against the existence of free will. @SamKerry

Getting wet in a rainstorm. The fact you will get wet is not random. Which raindrops hit you, pretty darned random.

maybe

Your question is both

chaos

My wife.

🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22855
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.