9 5

LINK What you're getting wrong about your pursuit of happiness

By tnorman1236
Options Favorite Like

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence, and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy

Create your free account

9 comments

That sometimes we can actually miss what actually makes us happy while chasing an idea

48thRonin Level 7 Nov 25, 2018

That's for sure.

As my friend and I decided over a campfire (after many beers, admittedly), the key to happiness is lowered expectations.

Elganned Level 6 Nov 25, 2018

Sounds reasonable to me. (He said, finishing his large whiskey.)

I like this article. It says a lot to me about being aware of what we attach our happiness to, and that these things can be disappointing if we don't attain or sustain them. Thus all those things have conditions, when the only thing we can rely on is being open in the moment... It doesn't say that we shouldn't go to those other places -- being human, we can't avoid them -- or that the challenge is to only be in enlightenment -- gosh, if that was the "goal" it would be just as problematic as trying to attain the other nine... but to just be aware of whatever is present.

bleurowz Level 8 Nov 24, 2018

Do you think everyone wants to be happy?

cava Level 7 Nov 24, 2018

Maybe not. I just thought it was an interesting take on the subject.

Stuff pursuing happiness. Happy is being content with what you are, flaws and all.

powder Level 7 Nov 24, 2018

I am always reluctant to take the "advice" of those who think they know enough to tell anyone how to be "happy".

KKGator Level 9 Nov 24, 2018

I know what you mean. I just thought it was an interesting take.

Interesting. Lickerman implies by his choice that the world of "Learning" is best and describes it as, "Learning: The world of mastery. In this world, you feel a relentless drive to learn and accomplish something that creates value and meaning. The delusion comes when you think happiness comes only through accomplishment." That is similar to the definition of happiness that I use, "Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of one’s values." (Ayn Rand).

sfvpool Level 6 Nov 24, 2018

He doesn't say it's best, he says it's the one he lives in.

@tnorman1236 True, but he chose it, so I assumed he thought it was best.

@tnorman1236 I'll edit my response.

I don't think he chose it, I think it's the one he sees himself in. That doesn't necessarily mean he sees it as the best one, but the one he has to be aware of the delusion of it taking over.

Edited

I'm not familiar with Lickerman. I really like Jordon Peterson's notion that responsibility gives meaning to life, not happiness. Does Lickerman propose something different?

brentan Level 7 Nov 24, 2018

All I know is what's in the article.

Now look here............oh OK.

Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.comis the largest non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others happy without religion!