Agnostic.com

7 3

Id anyone studying the Tao?

I’m very interested in the naturalistic philosophy of the Tao ( Dao) and books by Derek Lin. I am leaving a Christian sect of which I have become totally disappointed and which has probably ruined any Judeo-Christian religion for me.

Superwhiff 3 Nov 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Tao te ching, is a book written around 600 BC by philosopher Lao tsu. He was a librarian and curator of the written works of Confucius. The legend goes that an aging Lao Tsu decided to leave China and was asked by a border guard to leave behind the written story of his beliefs. The Tao te ching was the result and it became the root of Taoism. Later, a decpile of Lao tsu named Chuang tsu wrote a book taken as the major companion work to the Tao.

Great summary of the myth surrounding the origin to the Tao Te Ching and the later book by Chung Tsu, I have studied this at length and the current thinking that the tao te ching like the bible was developed by many authors over a long period of time. We have no evidence that a historical Lao Tsu ever existed.

@Marktzu good point though, getting down to it, I'm not even sure that you even exist.

Excellent point! I have had that thought many times. I love the philosophy of the tao the ideas of non action and letting the natural process continue has ruled my life.
Take Care!

You may be leaving one sect, but you're in the process of replacing one level of woo with another. I suggest that it is far better to give up on magic and move into the light of a reason based reality.

There is a Taoist group here as well that I am a member of. The Taoist practical approach to living as well as their sense of humor appeal to me.

Taoism is about as close as I can get to any form of religion.

I've been studying the IChing for a number of years...no, not the Dao, but...close, lol.

At age 18, I discovered "Tao Te Ching," written in the sixth century B.C. by Lao Tsu.

Love this passage:

The highest good is like water.
Water gives life to the ten thousand things and does not strive.
It flows in places men reject and so is like the Tao.
In dwelling, be close to the land.

In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be gentle and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.
In action, watch the timing.

No fight: No blame.

I have just scratched the surface of Tao. There is so much to learn there.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:230672
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.