Agnostic.com

11 2

What is the difference between a cult and a religion?

Remember to state your opinions are reasons in the comments below.

• 7 votes
  • 7 votes
Selah613 5 Sep 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The other famous quote (not sure from who) is that both worship a powerful founder, supposedly sent by God, the only difference is that in a cult that person is still alive.

1000000 people talking to god is a religion
100000 people talking to god is denomination
10000 people talking to god is a sect
1000 people talking to god is a cult
100 people talking to god is a congregation
10 people talking to god is a prayer circle
1 person talking to god is a paranoid schizophrenic

The difference is a matter of degree. In both the leaders want to control their followers, but cults tend to want to do so to a much greater degree and may not let members leave if they want to.

one commits suicide the other just believe fairytales

Cults are more proactive, smaller & newer.

There really isn't much of a difference. In both, you're told you must follow the teachings of the leader, never question him. The only real difference is that a religion is more widely accepted.

I thought cult was a short version of culture as in cultivating a culture of whatever.
And that cults tend to be extreme and fanatical to their belief and purpose.
There are religious fanatics and extremists cultivating a culture of violence causing terror and fear to mankind.

A cult has fewer followers... I call that a difference but it's largely academic.

Draco Level 6 Sep 23, 2017

This is actually really interesting. I could use more insight on this.

A cult is a small group of people that believe in a perspective that is unaccepted by the culture in which that group of people is a part of. From my perspective.

in my eyes all religons start as cult but as time goes on they become more accepted and then become religions. I mean look at satanism it started 500 years ago as a cult but is now a accepted religion.

Selah613, that certainly makes sense. I appreciate the input.

In the eyes of an atheist nothing, it's all a bunch of crap. I suspect to a theist it's any religion that isn't their religion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:231
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.