Agnostic.com

6 6

Garam Masala in Apple-Carrot Muffins?

The original Cooking Light recipe had a teaspoon of Garam Masala spice. A hot spice from India, Garam Masala contains red chili pepper and tumeric.

"Cinnamon goes with apples instead," I thought. After tinkering with the recipe, we have a winner! Delicious and healthy.

Apple-Carrot Muffins

3/4 cups finely grated carrots (about two medium carrots)
3/4 cups shredded, peeled apple (about one medium apple)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1-1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped

1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg + 1 egg white
3 tablespoons oil

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
  2. Toss together carrots, apples and brown sugar. Let stand 10 minutes.
  3. Whisk together dry ingredients. Stir in pecans.
  4. Add buttermilk, oil, vanilla and egg to carrot mixture.
  5. Gently fold together dry and and wet ingredients, just until combined.
  6. Divide evenly into muffin cups.
  7. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until wooden inserted in center of muffins comes out clean.
  8. Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from pan.

Calories: 170; Fat 8g; Protein 6.3g; Carb 26g; Fiber 5g; Sugars 15g; Sodium 107 mg; Calcium 8% DV; Potassium 2% DV

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Looks good

Look good...I have no idea how to do the substitutions that you do...probably a good thing...you must have a lot of friends drop by for coffee and baked goods! Lucky you!

Looks and sounds delicious. If only I ate sugar and refined carbs, which aren't good for me. Maybe next time I cycle off of keto.

Looks scrumptious

I think it sounds amazing both ways (as in cinna or garam). I'm lusting after your muffins here. Wait - let me be slightly less vulgar. I want to shove that entire plate in my mouth right now. ?

@PolyWolf

Hilarious!

Garam masala isn't always hot, and usually contains cinnamon in addition to chili and turmeric and cumin. I think it would be tasty in that recipe.

Minta79

In that case, you can adjust the spices how you like.

@LiterateHiker if I make them, I will.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:232077
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.