Agnostic.com

11 2

I am in the market for a new computer chair. My birthday is on Wednesday so I decided to treat myself. I play a lot of computer games and also do a lot of reading on the computer, but sitting in a cheap old computer chair really exasperates my existing back and neck pain. I don't have much disposable income so I was looking for something around $150... but I ended up finding some in the $250-$300 range that look more well-made, better quality, ergonomic, and have better reviews. I want something that will last me a long time and the more expensive ones look like they're more likely to do so. Aside from like my car, I've never spent such a large chunk of money on myself and I feel kind of guilty doing so. I have a 0 interest credit card I can put it on, but I'm still having a hard time justifying spending so much. Does anyone here have a high end computer chair? Was it worth it? What would you guys do in my position?

Qryzti 4 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You should always invest in your comfort. Moreover, physical and mental comfort deserves equal costs. I think that if you feel good physically, your mood will also be better. So, it's a double investment. I spent a lot of money on comfortable garden furniture from gardenfurniture.co.uk. Because I like to spend time outside, read a book, and cook meat on the grill. I felt guilty about the purchase because there are always other options to spend. But I feel so great, the regular chair makes me happy every day. I think it's worth it.

I wouldn’t get that chair, but I would spend that much on certain concerts tickets. It’s about intrinsic personal value. I know you posed the question, but your the only one that can answer it.

Happy birthday in advance.

First, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Second buy you a good bottle of spirits and a bean bag chair....OLD SCHOOL GAMING at its best!!

0% interest... hmmmm..... Call it your "going to the movies" chair and think of a movie ticket & popcorn once a month, maybe? That'd be what? $17? so pay $17 on it every month and in 2 years its paid for. No stress, fair swap. And you deserve a movie once in a while.

Do it! if its going to relieve your pain, there's no price you can put on it

Do it. I sit at work all day - and when there's a deadline, several hours after closing time - only getting up for short periods. I require a good chair. As a freelancer, my work place changes often. And the beat-up chairs at offices are always left aside for us freelancers. A good chair is almost always the first thing I request when starting at a new company.

Can you test sit on these chairs? Or are they online?

I have an Autonomous chair that I am quite happy with. Looks like the sell from $250 -$300 per Google shopping. I work from home as a software developer and have had neck issues off and on for more than 15 years. That chair makes a world of difference for me - I really like it and my neck is much better now. It is also affordable compared to some of the fancy Aeron chairs that cost an arm and a leg. [autonomous.ai]

Ohub Level 7 Feb 11, 2018

Cool desk. I would likely stand more than sit if I had that option. Standing desks have only started gaining traction here. I only know of two companies that have only a handful of standing desks.

Treat yo self! Plus that's a very reasonable place to do it. The chair I have is twenty years old. It's worn terribly but it's still comfortable.

I feel like spending the money on something that you plan to use so often is a sound investment into your own wellness and happiness.
Happy birthday by the way.

If you can afford it don't feel guilty. Life is too short. If you have a lot of back pain try yoga. It can help a lot.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23281
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.