Agnostic.com

11 1

Do any of you also suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder?

Do you have any special techniques for making it through the cold, dark winter months?

Diogenes1972 6 Nov 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes. In the winter, I take extra vitamin D. Running, snowshoeing, and weightlifting generate endorphins that give me feelings of happiness and well-being.

Full-spectrum lights help, too.

Yes. I use a full-spectrum light, which helps.

I used to in NYC - Florida not so much.

One thign you need to check with this is your vitamin D levels. Less sunlight means yoru body makes less vitamin D. Los vitamin D means you have less energy and just feel emotionally run down.

Both my sister and one of my neices thought they had seasonal affective disorder, but when tested they were orescruved huge quantities of vitamin D, and once their levels were up they were fine.

I did much of my life, which is why I now live in SW FL. (I'd move even further south...think Panama...but my wife will be have none of it.)

SAD-Smoking and Drinking, that's my technique!

Absolutely. Light therapy, long walks in the light, lots of windows and a trip south to the equator every winter.

When I lived in the Pacific Northwest I used a variety of light therapy, including a wake up light, red light, and indoor tanning beds. I also took vitamin D supplements and exercise daily. Finally, I moved away and I couldn't be happier. Natural sunlight is super important to me, I couldn't recommend it more, but there are some alternatives! Good luck.

I take vitamin D supplements in the winter, I find that helps.

I sure did when I lived in Seattle. Best I could do is force myself to go out for a walk during the noon hour, no matter how cold or wet, just to get some daylight. I also put extra bright lights in my office. Now that I live in a sunnier climate, I am happy most of the time. No more SAD.

Light box. Seriously.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:232821
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.