Agnostic.com

5 2

I am a bit of a cosmology buff/theoretical astrophysicist and I am enthralled by our ever expanding universe. I like exoplanets the ilk but I don't hear too many people talk about our nearest oddity Sedna. Sedna is a red planet like Mars but is way out in Pluto territory. Like Pluto, it is an icy world and may not meet the requirements of a typical planet. Also like Pluto, Sedna is not in our solar system in that it doesn't rotate around our sun per se. Thoughts? Let's chat.

IrishKing 3 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There was an article that actually classified 240 objects as planets. Seemed a bit outrageous.

I believe it's classified as a planetoid..with an elongated elliptical orbit and 35° off the plane of planetary orbit.

I think its a shame that "Oumuamua", the interstellar pencil shaped rock didn't get a radio transmitter put on it to share its travels out of our solar system.

I don't think we have anything that could have caught up with it (even if it had been spotted on the way in).

I tend to look further away. It may be an oddity but randomness is always going to throw a few up. I'm more interested in fast ray bursts and why isn't quantum physics yet married up with newtonian

Its not that Newtonian and Quantum are not "married", its just that Quantum can't encapsulate Gravity as a force.

It's actually quantum versus general relativity. Newtonian is a bit passé, but still has its uses.

I'm not familiar the evidence "that Sedna is not in our solar system in that it doesn't rotate around our sun per se"

My understanding is that Sedna very definitely IS in our solar system and does orbit our sun. Its orbit is highly elliptical. It also definitely doesn't qualify as a planet because it has not "sweep up the debris in its orbit" Thus, it is a dwarf planet like Pluto.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Do forgive my banter in banter. I'm often too tongue in cheek for words.

@IrishKing Absolutely! Don't mean to appear condescending. Just wanted to set the record straight... yes, I'm enthusiastic about learning cosmology too 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23284
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.